FORUMS: list search recent posts

Capture 330 Footage to FCP

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
Capture 330 Footage to FCP
on Nov 3, 2006 at 11:31:02 pm

I am using FCP5 and a Kona LH. If I shoot HQ 24p, what will my capture and sequence settings be in FCP. I should add that I am capturing component in and want to use the DVCPro Codec because of my drives. Basically, I feel that not understanding the pulldown process as it relates to 24p and 30p material and not understanding fully how the 330 is aquireing to disc is slowing me down at capture because I just am not sure that I am using the correct settings.

Mike

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: Capture 330 Footage to FCP
on Nov 4, 2006 at 2:57:07 am

Are you aware that by capturing with the Kona you'd missing out on a lot of the reasons to be shooting XDCAM in the first place?

The way to work is to pull the files off the camera via the XDCAM Transfer software, free from Sony.

When you install the Sony software, there's then Easy Setups for each mode/framerate of XDCAM.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 4, 2006 at 12:32:51 pm

I'd still be interested in this possible workflow too, as I sometimes work in the DVCProHD codec.

Anyone out there doing it this way, or transcoding the MXF files after import?

Also does anyone know of a way to stop the TC generator restarting at 00:00:00:00 every time the F350 is powered down?

Alan

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Nov 4, 2006 at 5:44:10 pm

[Alan Lacey] "Also does anyone know of a way to stop the TC generator restarting at 00:00:00:00 every time the F350 is powered down?"

Is your TC switch behind the door set to Preset instead of Regen?

Did you install the lithium backup battery?

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 4, 2006 at 6:58:58 pm

You're a genius Nate - right on BOTH counts.

The cam was an ex demo so I guess I assumed the button cell was installed. I'm relieved to hear it's my incompetence rather than a 'feature' of the 350.

Cheers Nate

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Nov 4, 2006 at 7:45:44 pm

Eh, I'll graciously decline the genius rating. :)

Next thing you know, people start asking you tougher questions, like how to fuse plutonium and cure world hunger.

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Nov 6, 2006 at 2:37:08 pm

Nate,

I am using FCP 5.0.4 at the moment. Can I work with the 35MB files in this version and import the way you mentioned?

I am wanting to work in the DVCPro Codec. If I use the kona card and come in component (for now) and I want to use the 24P and 30P (HQ mode) settings on the camera, what would my Capture and Sequence settings be with the kona. That was my question.

I do know that this in not the best workflow, and if I can use the one that you mentioned with 5.0.4 please let me know. However for now, can you give me a brief explanation of how to use component and my Kona to get the desired outcome?

Mike

Return to posts index

Jesse Rosen
on Nov 6, 2006 at 4:17:39 pm

Are you capturing directly from the camera, or from the deck? The camera always outputs with pulldown, but the deck can output true 24P (well, PsF).

From the camera, whether you shot 24P, 30P or 60i, you'd set your capture settings to 1080i/59.94.

Also, to get native 35Mb support you'll need to update to FCP 5.1.2, which I'd highly recommend you do anyway (as soon as you're done with whatever big project you're in the middle of, of course!).

--
Jesse Rosen
Director of Technical Development
Abel Cine Tech, Inc.

Return to posts index

Mike Allen
on Nov 6, 2006 at 5:56:39 pm

From the camera, whether you shot 24P, 30P or 60i, you'd set your capture settings to 1080i/59.94.

Ok, this is what I wanted to know. I am capturing with my camera because it is all I have at this point. So I shot at 24P, but the capture setting is 1080i/59.94. What would my sequence setting be?

Please give a short explanation of what is happening. How am I getting the 24P by capturing in 1080i/59.94. When it renders in the sequence? Camera is doing pulldown before import?

Sorry for the basic question, this is my first experience with HD.

Return to posts index

Jesse Rosen
on Nov 6, 2006 at 7:30:24 pm

The camera adds the pulldown on output - what you end up with in Final Cut in this case is a 1080i/59.94 clip with embedded pulldown. You can drag this clip directly into a 1080i/59.94 sequence (in whatever codec you've chosen in your capture settings). If you want to edit in 24, you can use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown, leaving you with 1080P/23.976 clips - ready for editing in a 24P timeline.

As you can see, it's really much much much more convenient (and higher quality, I might add) to deal with this footage natively. Considering the nominal cost of a FCP 5.1 upgrade, I think you'd be better off going that route.

--
Jesse Rosen
Abel Cine Tech, Inc.

Return to posts index

Jesse Rosen
on Nov 6, 2006 at 7:30:33 pm

The camera adds the pulldown on output - what you end up with in Final Cut in this case is a 1080i/59.94 clip with embedded pulldown. You can drag this clip directly into a 1080i/59.94 sequence (in whatever codec you've chosen in your capture settings). If you want to edit in 24, you can use Cinema Tools to remove the pulldown, leaving you with 1080P/23.976 clips - ready for editing in a 24P timeline.

As you can see, it's really much much much more convenient (and higher quality, I might add) to deal with this footage natively. Considering the nominal cost of a FCP 5.1 upgrade, I think you'd be better off going that route.

--
Jesse Rosen
Abel Cine Tech, Inc.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Nov 6, 2006 at 6:21:55 pm

You capture in 1080i60 with the Kona. If you set the camera's firewire mode to AV/C, you can then connect the firewire to the mac, set device control to "Firewire NTSC", and then get deck control and TC as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]