FORUMS: list search recent posts

F350 with 2/3inch SD lens

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Lacey
F350 with 2/3inch SD lens
on Oct 23, 2006 at 6:23:16 pm

I'm seriously considering a F350 and wondered how it would perform with a very good 2/3inch WA SD lens.

I just cannot afford a good piece of glass as well at present but do have a Fuji A10x4.8.

Thanks for any advice

Alan in PALland

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: F350 with 2/3inch SD lens
on Oct 24, 2006 at 2:58:35 am

My first use of the F350 was with Canon J11x4.5 SD lenses. Now that I've had a few lenses on my own 350, and seen res charts of even more, it seems that those Canon SD lenses did very, very well.

I have no idea where a Fuji A-series would fall compared to that...

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Oct 24, 2006 at 12:01:15 pm

Thanks for the info Nate, I was wondering if there was an issue to do with the optical block and resolution or light gathering power with SD lenses.

I know Sony make a 2/3inch lens adaptor for the 350, but don't know whether that's just intended for 2/3inch HD lenses, sounds like it might be okay then?

On a different note, are you completly happy with the XDcam workflow and quality? In other words if you were about to commit yourself again would you go for XDcamHD or wait until Pana have a pro P2 camera available?

Thanks Alan

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Oct 25, 2006 at 5:44:17 am

I'm really happy with my 350 and the way things work in FCP right now. I've done one big project so far and post was a breeze.

I'd prefer that the chips were 2/3", and the bitrate 50, but it really is much better in practice than the numbers indicate.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Oct 25, 2006 at 7:15:50 pm

Considered editing using Vegas Nate? They claim good XDcamHD compatibilty too - it's a Sony product after all! and you'll be able to use the HQ flavour of the HDmpeg rather than being limited to the 25mbs one.

Alan

Return to posts index

stevec
on Oct 26, 2006 at 2:13:09 am

FCP now supports full 35Mbs

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Oct 26, 2006 at 2:38:14 am

[Alan Lacey] "Considered editing using Vegas Nate? They claim good XDcamHD compatibilty too - it's a Sony product after all! and you'll be able to use the HQ flavour of the HDmpeg rather than being limited to the 25mbs one."

Vegas has no infrastructure here in Los Angeles. I rely on being able to take projects to post houses for HDCAM outputs if I need to (although I'm starting to do them at home), and there's a large base of FCP talent here as well.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Oct 27, 2006 at 12:40:03 pm

I hadn't realized FCP now supports the HQ mode - thanks.

Alan

Return to posts index

Yves Chauvel
on Oct 28, 2006 at 12:55:32 am

A Sony rep told me a couple days ago that if FCP 5.1.2 does support 35Mbits HQ, the Sony plug-in does not yet. A new version of the plug-in supporting HQ is on the way.
Has anyone information on this?

Yves

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Oct 30, 2006 at 2:19:03 am

I have information on it.

I've been shooting 24p HQ mode for almost 3 weeks now, and it's been working fine in FCP :-)

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Oct 30, 2006 at 6:27:26 pm

Okay, tried the F350 with a broadcast SD lens now and it looks fine.

I didn't do a side by side comparison with a 1/2HD lens but my Fujinin A10x4.8 works well on the camera with the Sony 2/3inch adaptor.

That was the deciding factor, I bought the camera there and then.

Alan

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Oct 30, 2006 at 8:39:48 pm

It's scary how close the SD lenses come to the HD units. I see a difference for sure, but my clients sure won't unless it's the crappiest SD lens I could find.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Oct 31, 2006 at 12:07:06 pm

To be totally Honest Nate, Once I'd seen what the SD lens could do, I chickened out of trying a good HD one after for fear of not being so pleased with SD afterall.

Ignorance, sometimes is bliss.

Alan

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Nov 3, 2006 at 8:19:33 pm

Alan. These cams perform better with native 1/2" lenses that were designed optically for that size chip. I would recommend buying a Canon 19x or 20x Standard Def lens as they perform really well considering the cost.

In response to a few other posts here:

There will be a 2/3rd version of XDCAM HD a year to 18 months from now. But it will cost

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 5, 2006 at 6:10:13 pm

Hi Nigel,

I agree with all that you've written, problem is I need WA and a good 1/2 glass is going to cost me more than I can afford presently. Also I'm not sure I'd want to spend that sort of money on 1/2 inch anyway.

Totally aggree about the XDCam workflow, I've thought this through thoroughly and it'll be perfect for me. To date I've been Liquid Silver based (to uncompressed) since it's first inception about 6-7 years ago as '601' and love the software - have you tried it? In many ways it knocks the socks off FCP (although I say that as a relative FCP newbie) My move to FCP was forced by the Avid takeover of Pinnacle as I'm sure they'll kill it off eventually.

A collegue has recently taken delivery of his HVX200 and we're currently working on a project combining footage from a pro Ikegami camera, his HVX and my F350 so it'll be interesting to see how these stack. We'll probably finish on my FCP box (DVCProHD codec) but he's a PPro man and I may leave it to him.

The 350F is almost perfect for me, 2/3inch would be better and nice it it could do SD IMX50 as I do a lot of keying and will be doing SD work for a long time to come but for the money I think it's a great move forward for me.

Regards Alan

Return to posts index

Nigel Cooper
on Nov 6, 2006 at 10:01:57 pm

HVX200, yuk, I had one of those, but sold it after just 3 weeks as it was very disappointing in just about every respect.

I wouldn't have any hang-ups about spending decent money on a half inch lens, if it gives the best quality the fact that it is half inch should not matter, at least that's how I see it.

I don't actually own an F350 yet, but am buying one in England UK (where I live) in Jan 2007; can't wait.

Never tried Liquid Silver as I'm a Mac convert, been on Final Cut since version 1.1, before that was Media Studio Pro.

If Apple went bust (very unlikely these days) and somebody stuck a gun to my head and said I had to use a PC, I'd try Sony Vegas first followed by Edius. I Hate Premiere totally; buggy as hell and overated.

Sounds like an interesting project you have going on there.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 7, 2006 at 9:10:29 pm

I know you'll not be dissapointed.

I'm in the UK too. If you want to talk dealers I'm on alan{@}w3media.clara.net.

I've no financial interest in any of them.

Regards Alan

Agree with youi about Prem, shame you've not tried Liquid it is (was) marvellous.

Return to posts index

Alan Lacey
on Nov 7, 2006 at 9:11:37 pm

I know you'll not be dissapointed.

I'm in the UK too. If you want to talk dealers I'm on alan{@}w3media.clara.net.

I've no financial interest in any of them.

Regards Alan

Agree with you about Prem, shame you've not tried Liquid it is (was) marvellous.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]