FORUMS: list search recent posts

waiting for Sony ?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Buruchian
waiting for Sony ?
on Oct 19, 2006 at 1:18:14 am

We have 3 new 330 cameras and we love them but we were promised some upgrades (oct. 1st) in software and firmware to fix major workflow issues and we're still waiting !

Is there any way to label or pre label the disc so when you record on to it the disc & the clips will have this info in it's metadata ?
We have a multi camera shoot next week and we're afraid that all the clips are going to have tha crazy C0000 #

Has any body heard of an upgrade in the PDZ software that would allow the in/outs logged to be loaded in the Apple xfer sofware and the utilized by the editor on FCP ?

Couldn't Sony just give us Apple (FCP) guys part of Sony Vegas that works great even if it was in a PC couldn't we then save it some way to get the in/outs into FCP ?

I cannot believe that there is no way to label the disc and certainly we realize once it is mounted the name of the disc can be changed in the finder but this needs to happen prior to the shooting so when logged each clip has this info.

I would appreaciate any ideas about workflow

Thanks

Bob

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: waiting for Sony ?
on Oct 19, 2006 at 2:45:43 am

[Bob Buruchian] "I cannot believe that there is no way to label the disc and certainly we realize once it is mounted the name of the disc can be changed in the finder but this needs to happen prior to the shooting so when logged each clip has this info."

Well, you're right. The functionality is there in the current firmware.

In the camera menus, you're looking for a function called "Clip Title". When enabled, you put enter a clip prefix. From then on, you can have "CAM A00001" and so on, and "CAM B00001" and etc.

You gotta read the manual, man :-)

Return to posts index

Bob Buruchian
Sony's response ?
on Oct 19, 2006 at 8:13:45 pm

Thanks for the info we'll give it a try, but for the record Sony told us it cannot be done this is why we didn't look any further the two options they proposed didn't actually label the clips, see below:
"Bob
Sorry for my delay in responding to you.
Currently you can not disc label directly in the camera, however here are two other alternatives
Label the disc in PDZ-1 either before or after your shoot, following a format operation if before your shoot
Format the discs in the studio before you go out, right click on the Mounted disc under MY COMPUTER and Rename.
This can also be done on the MAC when you mount the disc.
Do a properties on the mounted image on the MAC desktop and type the name there.
Hope that helps"

Return to posts index

Bob Buruchian
Sony's response ?
on Oct 19, 2006 at 8:14:24 pm

Thanks for the info we'll give it a try, but for the record Sony told us it cannot be done this is why we didn't look any further the two options they proposed didn't actually label the clips, see below:
"Bob
Sorry for my delay in responding to you.
Currently you can not disc label directly in the camera, however here are two other alternatives
Label the disc in PDZ-1 either before or after your shoot, following a format operation if before your shoot
Format the discs in the studio before you go out, right click on the Mounted disc under MY COMPUTER and Rename.
This can also be done on the MAC when you mount the disc.
Do a properties on the mounted image on the MAC desktop and type the name there.
Hope that helps"

Playimage Inc. / FCP 4.5 HD

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: Sony's response ?
on Oct 19, 2006 at 8:57:53 pm

You or they are getting the ideas of naming the disc and naming the clips mixed up.

You cannot name the disc in the camera.

You can insure every clip has a unique and useful name in the camera, however.

Return to posts index

Bob Buruchian
XD Cam HD clip labeling
on Oct 19, 2006 at 9:12:54 pm

Heres the catch, from what we can figure out you need to do the steps below prior to formatting the disc see below:

A brand new disc does not come formatted. The XDCAM HD formats a disc
when it is first inserted into the camera. In order to name the clips
(On page 24 of the camera menu) the "Prefix" and "Numeric" value must
be changed *prior* to inserting the disc. That way the prefix title
and clip numeric values will be set during formatting.

Alternate method: Before recording any footage!! Insert brand new
disc. Goto camera menu page 24 change "Prefix" and "Numeric" values.
Goto menu page 23 select "Quick Format", then select "Yes".

Aaron Freeman
Information Television Network

Thank you Aaron !

Bob

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
Re: XD Cam HD clip labeling
on Oct 20, 2006 at 4:44:40 am

That is not correct. You can set the clip name and number at any time. It holds those setting when you change discs as well. I have set the the clip name and number before and after inserting a disc and letting it format.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Oct 20, 2006 at 5:14:06 pm

I was going to say that, but I was kinda waiting for some backup.

I think one of the issues Bob is having is that the XD Transfer software isn't carrying over disc names into the reel number field...and says that if you name the disc before shooting to it, you won't have that problem.

That may be true...but I figured it's a shortcoming of the transfer software.

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Oct 21, 2006 at 3:43:48 pm

I'll take a look at what our systems are doing to see if it carries the reel name. We name the disc before we launch the transfer software.

Return to posts index

xdcam-guy
on Oct 23, 2006 at 12:33:55 pm

XDCAM Transfer 1.0 does not put the disc name into FCP. I believe that the next version of the software (to be released shortly) will put it into the Reel column in the FCP Browser. It will also allow you to rename discs from within the Transfer app.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Oct 24, 2006 at 2:59:22 am

Yes, it's true. XDCAM Transfer 1.1 handles reel names, among other things...

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Oct 24, 2006 at 3:31:57 am

Hey Nate, how do you know? Is it out?

Return to posts index

stevec
on Oct 26, 2006 at 2:16:30 am

Sony support center says another 3 weeks, I say double that; by years end

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>