FORUMS: list search recent posts

F350 1/2" Lens Comparison SD vs HD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Greg Penetrante
F350 1/2" Lens Comparison SD vs HD
on Oct 2, 2006 at 2:35:19 am

Hello,

I did a comparison between pro-grade 1/2" lenses from Canon and Fuji. I am posting some links to my shootout.

The lenses were:
1. Canon Kh20x6.4 (HDgc mid-grade HD lens) $8000
2. Fuji S16x6.5 (mid-grade SD lens) $3000

Each shot was at f4 at 15mm using a Sony F350 camera. Screen was Cinema Display 20" from about 5 feet. Tried my best to level the whole thing. There was a 20% brightness enhancement of the TIFF files in Photoshop. From there I exported "10" quality jpeg files for upload to the webserver. Native resolution was 1440 x 1080. Please keep in mind that I am shooting a computer screen and not a physical resolution chart.

Here are the links:
http://ttf.sdsu.edu/Canon_KH20x6.4.jpg
http://ttf.sdsu.edu/Fuji_S19x6.5.jpg

My initial conclusion: The two lenses are surprisingly close! The Canon was marginally sharper in the corners, but not $5000 sharper IMHO. Makes me wonder about the whole HD marketing madness. There was also mild pincusion distortion on both lenses at 15mm. I suspect both lenses would do worse if they were at f2 or above f11. Both lenses need minor white-shading correction. Does anbody know how to use the white-shading menus on the f350 (I own vectorscope and home-made lens box)...??

It looks like I will not purchase an HD 1/2" lens initially for my own system. My Fuji S lens works for my needs right now. It goes just as wide as the HD lens and at f4 appears just as sharp. "Live" tests of both lenses confirmed my suspicions regarding sharpness. To be sure, more tests will be carried out in the future. I want to test the Fuji Xs18 series and Canon JH series to see what all that extra money gets... ;-)

Cheers,
-Greg

p.s. Thanks to Val Reynolds at Sony for the generous loan of the XDcam system.

Return to posts index

nancy sada
Re: F350 1/2" Lens Comparison SD vs HD
on Oct 2, 2006 at 1:50:50 pm

Interesting---I know of other people who have had similar results. Makes XDCAM HD even more attractive.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]