FORUMS: list search recent posts

Happy with XDCam F330 and F350?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
Happy with XDCam F330 and F350?
on Sep 5, 2006 at 1:17:31 pm

My contact in Atlanta is not moving any of these units. I am considering one and would be courious to hear from users. Are users pleased with their purchases of these cameras. Is the new Panasonic a better way to go in the same price range? I would like to hear more about these camcorders from people who own them. I do not understand why the Sonys are not selling well in my area (yet).

Mike

Return to posts index

Timothy Duncan
Re: Happy with XDCam F330 and F350?
on Sep 6, 2006 at 2:57:53 am

Hi Mike,

We are in Nashville and have had an F350 since early April. We've shot quite a bit with it and absolutely love it. We feel it is cleaner than the F900, and like having a tapeless workflow.

The only "gotcha" is Sony's poor implementation of using the various modes of discs in the Deck. In order to use any transfer software that can write to the XDCAM discs, the deck frequency and frame rate settings must match that in which the disc was shot. For example: if the deck is set to NTSC 23.98P and you insert an 60i disc, you can copy the files from the disc, but you cannot alter any metadata, including the name of the disc. You first have to go through a series of menu settings and "reboots" of the deck. I feel this should be automatic, instead of going through all this. (Same thing really on the HDCam decks but at least they reboot themselves. You have to physically turn off and back on the XDCAM gear to reboot).

Outside of this, which is minor in the grand scheme of things, we are very happy with XDCAM. I've some friends who do quite a bit of work for the Discovery Channel. They've just invested in a bunch of XDCAM HD gear. It really is one of the best acquisition formats, and arguably is the best for the $.

The other nice thing about XDCAM is that is can fit nicely in a an existing studio because the deck acts just as a deck. Source from the footage as HD SDI uncompressed with VTR control, or connect in File Access Mode to transfer the files, or do as we do and use ethernet to FTP the files to/from the discs.

td

Return to posts index

llbr22
on Sep 6, 2006 at 3:46:29 pm

Agree'd.. I shot w/ the 350 the last two weekends... loved it! Played with different formats.. then realized rack mounting the deck would not be a good idea unless you can reach the back everytime you need to re-boot.

Otherwise, like you said... very 'clean' workflow.
Lloyd

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Sep 7, 2006 at 12:45:37 am

I've done a big job already with 7 F350s and post was cake. I feel the current cameras don't make much sense on paper (data rates, chip size, etc), but in practical use they show their legs.

I think XDCAM HD will really pick up steam when the 2/3" units finally show up. In the meantime, I think it's a great in-between format, which the business sorely needed. I get my 350 on Friday!

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Sep 7, 2006 at 1:21:03 am

I got my 330 last Wednesday and have been happy so far. Have not posted anything yet.

Return to posts index

Nickel
on Sep 7, 2006 at 1:42:02 pm

[Nate Weaver] "I think XDCAM HD will really pick up steam when the 2/3" units finally show up"

Is this a sure thing? I have heard otherwise, but what do I know?

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Sep 7, 2006 at 4:01:41 pm

If it's not, then it's the worst unmanaged rumor of 2006 for Sony Broadcast. The mentions have been so frequent and numerous that I can't even cite any.

Of course they could do anything without having a press release in-hand...but the rumor *I* heard is saying a 2/3" body for release in early 2007 for "$10k more".

Return to posts index

Nickel
on Sep 7, 2006 at 4:07:54 pm

Thanks, Nate. Hmmm, maybe that dealer was just trying to sell a camera sooner rather than later. Naah, they wouldn't do that!

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

esp
by
on Sep 9, 2006 at 5:21:15 pm

Back in January in a post at the COW Forum, I predicted that a 2/3 version of XDCAM HD is evident and the only reason Sony is holding it back is in order to sell as many XDCAM SD as possible. In my opinion before NAB 20007 there will be a 2/3 version and at a significant lower price than the one mentioned above.

The reason: GRASS VALLEY INFINITY and of course the usual PANASONIC competition.

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
on Sep 9, 2006 at 6:59:02 pm

[esp] "and at a significant lower price than the one mentioned above. "

2/3" XDCAM HD at a price lower than $35,800 USD? Hrm. I suppose anything's possible, but seems crazy to me.

Return to posts index

Michael Brennan
on Sep 17, 2006 at 8:27:13 am

No question 2/3 inch camera with 50mb is on the way, it will not be backward compatable with existing players.

The big question is what will be the pixel count of the ccd.
If the new camera is to cost an extra $10k dont expect too much more htna the current model asSOny will take an extra $9k in profit!

In Europe the 330 and 350 are not being adopted much by the mainstream rental companies as they have to buy a new set of 1/2 inch lenses.
I understand that Canon and Fuji are somewhat deflated by the less than expected sales of their 1/2 inch lenses.

I think there is a future in 1/2 inch lens and camera format for news, issues to solve are so they can use a 1920x1080 pixels are senitivity of small ccds and of course further development of lenses that can deliver to such small pixels. (I assume current lenses will fall short but until a 1920x1080 1/2 inch chip comes along we'll never know?)

Mike Brennan

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
on Sep 10, 2006 at 6:57:51 am

What we have done is install a rackmount switch panel that is a row of switches with a plug on the back for each switch. I plug anything in that needs to be powered down occasionally and the switch is on the back, like our raid for the NLE. But you do have to wonder how a team can engineer something that cost thousands of dollars and no one looks at how it works when installed. I bought my switch panels off of e-bay and they are of surprisingly high quality for around $30 shipped. We have our network router and internet modem running of this thing because we have to reboot those once in a while also.

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

iManvideo
on Sep 30, 2006 at 11:04:22 pm

Am I the only one who doesn't think a 2/3rd inch XDCAM HD will arrive?

If Sony bring out a 2/3rd inch XDCAM HD it would be almost the same price as HDCAM, but without HDCAM quality, hence folk might as well just go for HDCAM instead.

As far as Sony UK are concerned it goes like this.

Z1 for consumers, XDCAM HD for that middle-ground, then HDCAM for the high-end professional.

That's it and I know a few guys at Sony.

If you want XDCAM HD, buy now, don't bother holding your breath for a 2/3rd version, I doubt one will ever come around.

Return to posts index

Mike Sorel
on Oct 28, 2006 at 4:33:56 am

I attended a XDCAM HD seminar last week and the sony reps say that the 2/3 inch chip XDCAM HD will be out next fall. They also added that it will be an ENG camera without 24p recording, and a 24p 2/3 inch XDCAM HD is not expected until spring 2008. Both will be quite a bit more expensive than the 1/2 inch model according to the reps, but they did not give any numbers.

I currently am shooting on a HDW 730, and will be doing a side by side compairison with the XDCAM HD next week. If the image quality and workflow turn out to be as good as I've read in other posts I think I'd have to consider switching. I'm wondering if anone else has done this, and what your results have been? Would I be nuts to change from HDCAM to XDCAM HD?

Mike Sorel

Return to posts index

Bill Skinner
on Oct 31, 2006 at 3:10:05 am

Mike,
Please let us know what you find in your head to head test. I to have heard some rumors on the 2/3" camera. But at this point that is all it is. Only time will tell.

Bill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]