FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCam HD firmware update?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nickel
XDCam HD firmware update?
on Aug 18, 2006 at 8:52:07 pm

Hi. I've heard rumors of an update that will allow the XDCam HD cameras to go "above" the current highest quality setting of 35 mgbts. Anyone else heard anything about this?

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Nate Weaver
Re: XDCam HD firmware update?
on Aug 19, 2006 at 3:56:43 am

I've heard of a firmware update that will give some nice additional functionality, but a higher bitrate was not one of them.

That would be tremendous though.

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Aug 20, 2006 at 7:01:25 am

I would expect that because of the shorter record times at a 50mbit rate, Sony would wait to bring out the new 50gig discs with a re-designed cam-drive for the 2/3" XDCAM HD. There should some announcement on something at IBC. I would hope so anyway.

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
Australia
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Nickel
on Aug 21, 2006 at 2:04:27 am

Is the 2/3 inch unit a definite or is that rumor also? When is the IBC meeting?

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Aug 21, 2006 at 2:41:41 am

The 2/3" version is a definite, it's just when that is indefinite. IBC is on Sept 8 - 12. Whether they make an announcement at IBC is a moot point. I would like some direction as I'm waiting to see this camera before making a decision on HD. But if it takes too long I may jump into the Panasonic HDX-900 or P2 variant. The other hope is that Sony doesn't price the 2/3" XDCAM HD too high. I've heard prices will be in F900-arena which will be an absolute strike out for me if true. Others with Sony contacts have mentioned prices in the high thirties. Damned pain the whole thing. Worse than the NLE world! ;-(

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
Australia
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

Nickel
on Aug 21, 2006 at 2:51:24 pm

Hi Peter. Seems we have the same HD headache. I have clients asking for it but I hate to invest in gear until things settle down a bit. I have also been looking at the 900, but if the new 2/3" XDCam HD is priced the same I'm afraid it may go over my budget. I guess I should be happy with 1/2" - I would like more options on the data rate, however.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.2
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]