FORUMS: list search recent posts

Run and Gun in HD?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Raymond Motion Pictures
Run and Gun in HD?
on Jul 6, 2006 at 2:17:12 pm

Is the Canon auto-focus lens offered for the XDCAM-HD really that bad? How can one be assured of perfect focus through a non-auto-focus lens without using a large monitor? Is anyone else concerned about this? It seems to me that the slightest mistake in manual focus turns HD into SD or worse.

Return to posts index

Redflag
Re: Run and Gun in HD?
on Jul 9, 2006 at 12:59:34 am

Yes it is that bad.A sony guy here in Japan told me Canon had pretty much been forced into making them for this camera.

I doubt any professional camera person will be shooting auto focus,esp when panning ;-)

What you really need is a good view finder,which is a bit lacking on the XD camera,s,but still preferable to auto focus.Shame you couldnt plug an HDCAM view finder in really.

Return to posts index

AZEdit
on Jul 9, 2006 at 3:46:59 pm

I demoed the stock Canon lens at NAB and it was really bad next to the higher end Canon lenses (KH21eX5.7IRSE). In my opinion it made the footage look more like HDV. I was planning on buying the stock lens but after playing with it I realized I had to spend more on glass to get the better image/functions. I bought the mid range Fujinon (HSs18x5.5BRD) and I'm really happy with it...

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
on Jul 9, 2006 at 10:53:22 pm

How accurate are you finding your focuses to be using only the viewfinder?

Return to posts index

AZEdit
on Jul 11, 2006 at 5:38:23 pm

The viewfinder on my 350 is very accurate especially when you crank up the peeking. The LCD is useless for focusing and seems to use a lot of juice to power it so I try to keep it off as often as possible.

Return to posts index

Steve Wargo
We're neighbors
on Jul 11, 2006 at 6:16:45 pm

Mr AZEDIT

I looked at your profile and it seems as though we are neighbors. This is Steve from Show-N-Tell Productions in Tempe. We're at the 101 and Broadway. You and I need to get together and compare cameras and such. I need a backup on some jobs and this might be a very good opportunity for both of us. Please give me a call and let's do lunch. 480-345-2187

Steve Wargo
Tempe, Arizona

It's a dry heat!

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
on Jul 12, 2006 at 12:55:22 am

The viewfinder on my 350 is very accurate especially when you crank up the peeking.

OK, I guess that's what I needed to hear! Thanks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]