FORUMS: list search recent posts

Acceptance of XDCam for Broadcast ?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kevin Burton
Acceptance of XDCam for Broadcast ?
on Jul 5, 2006 at 8:07:29 pm

Has anyone heard of any non-news broadcast of shows shot in XDCam.

I have heard that Alliance Atlantis here in Canada will not be accepting shows using XDCam for acquisition for their channels - not sure how accurate my info is ...

Return to posts index

Pete Bell
Re: Acceptance of XDCam for Broadcast ?
on Jul 6, 2006 at 10:34:05 pm

The PBS station that I work at is planning on purchasing a large number of the 350's (16!)in the next 2-3 months. They will replace our very old school pot of IKE 57,55, and 45's.
Work flow is definatly a concern for me and I have pushed for a group of us to go to the Atlanta Sony/Apple seminar on 7/26. Hopefully we will gather some insight there, but I do wish there was some more training involved.

We shoot primarily public affairs (news but not hard news by any means), but also a whole bunch of other shows...travel and tourism, issue based magazine style shows etc.
They are shooting like the 50th season of Woodright's Shop as we speak...on the old Beta's of course...we will see what happens next season.
we currently broadcast a digital channel in HD, but not our air signal.

luvyurtv

Return to posts index

Gary Snyder
on Jul 7, 2006 at 8:53:50 pm

Let me know if the PBS station is looking to sell any of the
Ikegami gear.... We could use it.

tnx... GAry

Return to posts index

Pete Bell
state surplus
on Jul 8, 2006 at 5:29:43 pm

All our old equipment will go to state surplus when the new stuff arrives.
The state of North Carolina that is.
Not sure about the process, but Geary Morton is. He is a director (freelance - Woodwrights shop, For Your Home, Paint, Paper,Crafts...)at UNC-TV.
he has garages full of old gear from State Surplus.

luvyurtv

Return to posts index

tony salgado
on Jul 8, 2006 at 6:30:02 pm

Gary,

If your looking for Ikegami gear (triax system, cameras etc) I have gear currently available for sale.

Provide me with your email and I send you the information.

Thanks,

Tony Salgado

Return to posts index

David Slater
on Jul 10, 2006 at 1:04:27 am

I am pretty sure Alliance Atlantis is taking the 25mb/s signal under there HDV guidlines, but the 35 mb/s signal gets covered under there normal high def guidlines

DAVE at Movies Rock in Toronto

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 24, 2006 at 8:43:36 pm

Dave is correct!

Most everybody doesn't see that 25 mb/s signal as a real tv quality signal. Unless you are a trained engineer and know how to spot a 25 mb/s signal, I'll bet they will never know...

Anyway... the 35mb/s signal is so clean and pristine, that I would bet you couldn't tell it wasn't HDCAM. At NAB this year, Sony had both cameras side by side for a comparision and even had two distinguished videographers who commented about the quality.

I would have to say the problem here is what we are used to using... Years ago, we said that Digibeta was the digital standard and now we are going to have to change that standard to a Digital HiDef standard such as HDCAM... But here's the problem, not everybody can afford the HDCAM system, so Sony came up with XDCAM HD.

Just ponder it for a little while...

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

Timothy Duncan
on Jul 28, 2006 at 3:29:25 pm

I think Alliance Atlantis are -- well how do I say this delicately -- I can't seem to find a PC way to say "stupid" or "narrow minded". :(
I think their fear is that this opens up the door for too many people to be able to afford HD production.
Do they realize that the Discovery network now fully approves XDCAM HD HQfrom the F350 for acquisition? Discovery has always had extremely strict technical guidelines.

If anyone knows the folks from AA -- feel free to forward them my info and comments.

td

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]