FORUMS: list search recent posts

XD Cam and 2/3 lens adaptor for F330

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Allen
XD Cam and 2/3 lens adaptor for F330
on Jun 8, 2006 at 6:35:36 pm

The PDW-F330 has an available 2/3's lens adaptor. The B&H rep. told me I could use my conventional 2/3 lens off my DSR 400 (which is a SD 4x3 cam) and attach it to the F330 and it would work good but not as good as a dedicated HD lens.
Well this is a big deal. The camera is a $15,000 body. But a good lens starts around $8,000 pushing the price upwards of $23,000 dollars. I would be streatching it to attain the 15k from my coorperation for the camera budget much less the 23k-25k with HD glass.
Two questions, will it work like the B&H rep. says or will image quality loss be so poor that it makes this a bad idea. Also, will anyone who has seen footage from this camera with their own eyes (after compression to the recording media)care to comment on the image.

Return to posts index

Daniel E
Re: XD Cam and 2/3 lens adaptor for F330
on Jun 8, 2006 at 7:56:00 pm

Yes you can use your lens but you will have to evaluate its optical problems very carefully. CA and focus issues will show up at dffierent F Stops and focal lengths which might kill the shot. There is also the conversion factor of 1.37 or so for angle of view. Ie 8 MM for the wide becomes 8x1.37=10.96. If you put your Wide angle adpater onthe front of it it will go bakc to being almost as wide as the standard lens. The quality of the lens you currently own will determine its useability. I would put your old lens on a demo unit and see if it works well in low light. Be very critical. In the long run you might ant to buy a medium priced 2/3 Inch HD Lens and the adapter since eventutally the 2/3 inch XDCAM HD will come down the pike. Sorry it isn't a straightforward ye or no.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

Raymond Motion Pictures
Re: XD Cam and 2/3 lens adaptor for F330
on Jun 11, 2006 at 5:58:50 am

We're debating the same thing. The Canon XL-H1 combined with the Wafian is looking like a feasible option.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]