FORUMS: list search recent posts

2/3" XDCAMHD

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Corbett
2/3" XDCAMHD
on Jun 1, 2006 at 9:39:47 am

I keep hearing whispers of a 2/3" XDCAMHD, probably based on IMX technology. If such a beast is imminent with 50mbs 4:2:2, I would be a deadset walkup for a purchase. Did anyone get any clues of a 2/3"-spec XDCAMHD at NAB?

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
Australia
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

nancy sada
Re: 2/3" XDCAMHD
on Jun 3, 2006 at 6:05:56 pm

Yes, I have heard the announcement-----and the guess is sometime around NAB in 2007. By the way, with the Panasonic HDX model coming out in July---at a price of 26,000, the Sony XCAMHD would have be priced lower and I dont see how they can do that.

Return to posts index

Daniel E
on Jun 3, 2006 at 11:28:31 pm

I don't think the 2/3 Inch XDCAM HD will be cheaper than the HVX-900 initially nor will it have to be. My conversations with Sony indicate the 2/3 inch model will be a replacement for Digibeta. If they come up with a higher data rate than the current best XD HD 35 then they will really be close to replacing HDCAM which Sony seems inclined to keep around. The advantage of XDCAM HD vs HVX-900 is random access which is arguably a bigger selling point than picture quality for a large part of the market. Considering that some people even argue that the current best XDCAM HD is as good or better than Varicam there is reason to believe the 2/3 inch XDCAM model can be priced above the HVX-900 price. Panasonic also didn't make the HVX-900 standard def capable which the current XDCAM HD can be and dangerosly I assume the 2/3 inch will be also. I still think Panasonic should have put a couple of P2 slots on the HVX-900 and let us record a standard def DV50 signal ala the less expensive HVX-200.
If I were marketing for Sony I would lose the low end XDCAM HD model when the 2/3 inch comes out, Lower the price of the current High end Model to around 20k and price the XDCAM HD 2/3 inch at close to 30K if they can. If there is a higher quality model they can go up to 35K. It will be interesting to see what the cost differential of a 2/3 inch chip is compared to 1/2 inch chip in HD. In SD the difference was arund 5K. The double sided XDCAM capability due with the 2/3 inch is also worth something the question is what will Sony want it to be.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

Peter Corbett
on Jun 5, 2006 at 12:53:48 am

Thanks Daniel,

It's damn tricky at the moment. I have a five-year old Panasonic PRO50 D910 which has served me well and the problem of which HD system to go for is frustrating. I don't really want 1/2", 25mbit HDV, or 4:2:0, so I may well wait for the 2/3" XDCAMHD to see what trasnpires. It's either that or the new Panasonic HDX-900 or the P2 equivalent. It's almost worse just sitting and doing nothing!

Peter Corbett
Powerhouse Productions
Australia
http://www.php.com.au

Return to posts index

nancy sada
on Jun 5, 2006 at 12:46:23 pm

This is a time of massive transition and there is no doubt that many people are having the same issues that you are having. I agree with Daniel's post----in that I think that Sony will have to price the 2/3" somewhere in the 30,000 or below range.

Return to posts index

Daniel E
on Jun 5, 2006 at 8:05:13 pm

Yes it is tricky to figure out what to do at this point. I bought an XLH1 to serve my Low Def and HDV level clients. It is a relatively low cost solution to getting into HD. We have been renting HDCAM and Varicam as needed although I would have bought an XDCAM HD if they had come out with 2/3 inch chips on this version. I don't think you can lose too much money on the low end cameras so I would dip my toe in there and wait for the middle and high end to resolve itself unless you have a job which will pay for the cameras which are out now. The next investment I am making is a HD monitor. It is more likely going to pay for itself than some of the more expensive cameras out there.

Daniel Epstein
Gold Teleproductions, Inc
New York, NY
http://www.goldtele.com

Return to posts index

nancy sada
on Jun 6, 2006 at 12:44:37 am

I am pretty much where you are---I was very tempted by both the Red (who knows when that is coming out) and the 1/2" XDCAM HD---I ended up buying the X1U to use along with my standard def cameras----I will wait another six months to a year and that take the leap.

Return to posts index

ScottAston
on Jun 6, 2006 at 6:06:14 am

I suspect that the 2/3" XDCAM-HD will also shoot 4:2:2 SD, at a bit rate of 50mbps (like the PDW530), I see Sony positioning it somewhere in the mid to upper 30k range, and 40k would also be believeable.

Scott Aston
Eyecon Pictures

Return to posts index

William Hooke
on Jul 7, 2006 at 7:42:07 pm

I've heard through the grapevine at a well-known VAR close to Sony that the 2/3" will be priced around $44K and record at a higher bit rate - 70mb/sec and be 4:2:2.

Return to posts index

Wayne Carey
on Jul 24, 2006 at 9:22:03 pm

Sony's only problem at the moment is disk space... It will not be available until they can sucessfully double the size of the disk to 46 gig. This was told to me by a Sony representitive, not my sales rep.

Besides.... Just ask Jody Eldridge or Mark Falstead what they think about the current 1/2" camera. I'd be more inclined to listen to someone who has shot of a major news programs or National Geographic than what other think of the stats of the camera. Sony has done some really amazing things with the 1/2" chip cameras.

Wayne Carey
Schazam Productions
http://www.schazamproductions.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]