FORUMS: list search recent posts

XDCAM HD "True 24P"

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
H
XDCAM HD "True 24P"
by
on Mar 5, 2006 at 1:24:45 pm

Since the camera is natively 60i and has been rumored by multiple reliable sources that the selectable framerate function actually uses only half of the resolution of the camera (shoots in 540) when framerates above 30 (or 25 in PAL mode) are selected, I'm curious as to how the 24P source is obtained. Does it use a pulldown method to achieve 24P or is it scanning progressively? If it does use some sort of pulldown, is it 3:2 only (as opposed to 2:3:3:2) or can the pulldown method be selected, and do the frames have to be removed via an NLE? Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Bill Skinner
Re: XDCAM HD "True 24P"
on Mar 10, 2006 at 11:38:13 pm

The camera shoots true 24P and lays it down to the disk in 24Psf. This is the same as the 900. As for the reduced resolution when shooting above native frame rate, yes the vert. resolution is reduced. However, I have seen with my own eyes the play back of such material on a BVM series HD monitor and honestly I could not tell. It looked fantastic.

Now before anyone gets off on the wrong foot here, this camera is what it is, a middle ground HD camera. Owners and users of the 900 have nothing to worry about, Your 750 is safe also. That being said if you are a fan of the xdcam workflow you might want to give this baby a chance. Or just wait a year for the 2/3" version.

And for those who think this is just another HDV format, YOUR WRONG, at the 35mbs rate this format holds it's own with motion.

Return to posts index

jojolimited
on Mar 17, 2006 at 12:32:06 am

Thats good to hear. I too am looking forward to NAB, and wondering how to pay for the darn thing.

Return to posts index

Sockalingam
on Apr 14, 2006 at 8:24:13 am

Why if it is a TRUE 24p camcorder should vertical resolution be "reduced?"

Because, if the CCDs are truly running progressively, row-pair summation is turned-off thereby increasing V. rez.

If V. rez is reduced, then it may be running at 24fps, but is is not scannning progressively.

EZ way to tell. A 24p camera will have about 1/2-stop less sensitivity than 60i. (1-stop, but also a slower shutter-speed) So is the 24p sensitivity lower or the same as 60i?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]