FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone had a chance to see or learn anything about Sony's new variable framerate XDCams?

COW Forums : Sony XDCAM - EX & Related

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Burnston
Anyone had a chance to see or learn anything about Sony's new variable framerate XDCams?
on Jan 24, 2006 at 3:54:32 am

Have any of the CineAlta users had a chance to see or learn anything about the new variable framerate XDCams that are going to be introduced at NAB?

I ask because often there seems like there are a few users who get a sneak peek at the new cameras before they ship. Anyone had that opportunity yet?

If anyone has, what appears to be the pros and cons of the system?

Thank you,

Ken

Return to posts index

Bill Skinner
Re: Anyone had a chance to see or learn anything about Sony's new variable framerate XDCams?
on Feb 4, 2006 at 1:11:02 am

Ken,

I am not a CineAlta user, but a friend of mine had the 350 version of the camera for 2 days and he loved it, for what it is. A middle of the road HD camera placed between the small HDV and the big boys. He said the playback was beautiful on the Sony supplied monitors (both LCD and tube, both from the HD line). The in camera effects were as advertised in his opinion. One thing I thought was strange at first but makes perfect sense after thinking about it is the lack of audio during any of the variable frame rate recording (under or overcranking).

That said, With a full size (read 2/3" HD XDCAM) camera likely in '08 any purchase of this camera would need to be able to pay for it's self in 18 months or so. IMHO

Bill

Return to posts index

rljohnson
Re: Anyone had a chance to see or learn anything about Sony's new variable framerate XDCams?
on Feb 4, 2006 at 6:14:28 am

Just had the actual first demo of the camera 2 weeks actual hands on. It has a lot of the SD XDCam features. It is a good camera if your are looking for a news gathering HD format or low cost entry to HD. The chip size is 1/3 and sample rate is 4:2:0. Wouldn't recommend for high end HD production stick with Sony's higher end CineAlta or Panasonics Varicam which is very impressive also. Saw a lot of compression issues with the camera footage being displayed on one of Sonys HD LCD Monitors. Blacks were in question but that could have been the issue with the monitor I still haven't seen a great LCD Monitor even though they keep saying they are getting better. If your looking for an affordable entry level HD it's a seems to be a good choice. Hope this helps

Return to posts index

rljohnson
on Feb 4, 2006 at 6:19:12 am

Correction on my first post the chip is 1/2" not 1/3"

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]