FORUMS: list search recent posts

Some trouble with Glyphs

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marina Plotzki
Some trouble with Glyphs
on May 8, 2018 at 10:12:20 pm

Hello everyone,
I´m confronted with a very specific Glyph problem to which I cannot find a solution.
So I´m working on some books which are partly in Spanish and partly in an indigenous language from the Amazonas. This language has some characters that have some kind of strikethrough. That´s all, nothing special, only a strikethrough. Now, I get the Word document ready with my font and size and everything looks perfect. But when I paste it into InDesign, ALL LETTERS that come after one of those special characters, get a strikethrough (the button in the paragraph adjustments for strikethrough gets activated). So when I select all and turn off the strikethrough, my indigenous letters will turn into normal letters.

Here is a picture:
https://imgur.com/a/DyewJg2

In the picture you can see the original Word document and how the letters turn out in InDesign.
And there is another problem, because if you look closely, Word shows a special Glyph for these characters, but the line is lower than the strikethrough in InDesign, so InDesign doesn’t even try to put the Glyph, only puts the strikethrough.
(Numbers 26 to 33 in the picture in InDesign I adjusted manually, but as I say: the line is not in the height I want it to, and it´s a 200 pages book so….no way!)
I don´t use paragraph styles nor character styles, because every word that is not in Spanish has to be in oblique, so I only change the font and size in Word and import it to InDesign.

I hope somebody can solve this riddle! :)

Return to posts index

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Re: Some trouble with Glyphs
on May 11, 2018 at 9:45:40 am

You might have more luck importing the text into InDesign rather than pasting it. On import InDesign will try and parse all useful information from the source file, whereas you are likely to lose more information when copy-pasting the text via clipboard.

Kalleheikki Kannisto
Senior Graphic Designer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]