FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign Character flyout menu has disappeared!

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Cook
InDesign Character flyout menu has disappeared!
on Jan 29, 2016 at 3:05:25 am

I recently opened InDesign and somehow my settings have changed. The main header toolbar isn't the same as it used to be for starters. (Maybe from those dumb upgrades that the computer insists I do?) The trouble is, I used to be able to open a pallet called "Character" that would allow me to change the height and width of letters, the width of sentences and the spacing between lines. I can not find that menu now... I have tried resetting the preferences to default settings. I have also tried "Window>Workspace>Essentials" as I was advised an a different website. Then I was told to do "Windows>Workspace>Advanced (which isn't even an option.) I tried "show full menus".. Still no luck. I even tried opening InDesign under a different username for the computer. It wouldn't even allow me to open it. If anything I have made things worse by screwing around with all the settings. All I need to know is how to get the character box open and go back to the old header menu. The one I have now has an "A" in the upper left corner. And the frame and fill colors in the upper left. The old one had the colors at the middle right. What did I do and how can I undo it? I have been trying things for 4 hours now and I'm about to lose it. Please give directions that are easy for a person who's not good with computers! I attached the menu box that I can't view below. Thank you so much!

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: InDesign Character flyout menu has disappeared!
on Jan 29, 2016 at 3:56:05 pm

Ctrl+T on PC, Cmd-T on mac.

Return to posts index

Ben Cook
on Jan 29, 2016 at 6:06:13 pm

Yeah that doesn't work. I already tried that. Maybe because my keyboard is Microsoft Ergonomic and the computer is a Mac. Even if that did work it wouldn't solve the issue that the control bar is different than it used to be. Not only can I not retrieve the character menu pallet, but I used to be able to enlarge the characters to "other" instead of specifying a size and the box would pop up. Now clicking on other does nothing.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
on Jan 30, 2016 at 8:46:40 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Jan 30, 2016 at 8:48:28 am

At the far right, there is a menu for the control panel (down arrow and four lines), way at the bottom of that menu there is a "customize..." option where you can turn on and off what is shown in the panel.

https://indesignsecrets.com/tip-week-customizing-control-panel.php

(Note also that you have to have the type tool selected to see the type panel options.)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]