FORUMS: list search recent posts

Objects, bleeds and inserting an odd number of pages

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michiel Niesten
Objects, bleeds and inserting an odd number of pages
on Nov 11, 2015 at 4:23:59 pm

I'm working on a larger document for print in InDesign and have a problem when inserting pages. On some pages I put an object like shown in the image below.

When inserting an odd number of pages before the page with the object, the object moves from a right page to a left page (obviously). But because Indesign aligns the object to the center of the page (I think), the right bit of the object, which is intended to fill the bleed, occupies the left part of the right page. Anyway, a picture is worth more than a thousand words; see below.

Is there a way to align objects to the spine of a facing pages document? A bit like text columns with different margins on the inside and outside.

Thanks in advance,
Michiel

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: Objects, bleeds and inserting an odd number of pages
on Nov 12, 2015 at 10:03:55 am
Last Edited By Kalle Kannisto on Nov 12, 2015 at 10:08:42 am

The only way I know to accomplish this is to use an anchored object aligned to the page edges. Meaning you would make another text frame (probably on another layer so as not to interfere with the rest of the layout) insert your graphic there as an anchored object and set it to align to page bottom and spine + offset down by your bleed amount. Then it will automatically shift to left and right from the spine. It's a bit of a hassle to set up, but you can then store all those settings as Object styles for a couple of different scenarios depending where on the page the object is.

Return to posts index

Michiel Niesten
Re: Objects, bleeds and inserting an odd number of pages
on Nov 13, 2015 at 9:42:35 am

Thanks!
I haven't worked with anchored objects that much, but after experimenting a bit with the options I got it to behave the way I wanted. I ended up making a page wide text frame to hold the graphic object, made the graphic 5mm (bleed size) wider than the text frame and aligned its top corner to (x and y) to the text frame without any offset.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]