FORUMS: list search recent posts

What’s the point of the “Book” function in Indesign?

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ron curington
What’s the point of the “Book” function in Indesign?
on Aug 27, 2015 at 1:52:40 pm

I’ve just wasted 2 weeks working on a book built from multiple .indd files only to have to abandon the approach entirely because there appears to be no way to implement the Sections function across multiple files.

To further explain…
I am creating a recipe book. The book was made up of multiple files each recipe an individual file organized into Sections i.e. Appetizers, Breakfast, Dinner, Deserts, etc. I had made separate files for each of the section title pages. In other words there was a single page .indd file named “Breakfast” and another for “Dinner” etc. etc. Each of these files are followed by the various recipe files such “Eggs Benedict” after the “Breakfast” Section title page and so on and so on.

So after investing all that time and energy it seems applying the whole “Sections” idea to this structure is not something Indesign will actually do.

I have since made a copy of all those files and then started copying them all into a single .indd file which is of course proving to be an absolute nightmare. Really beginning to consider making this project from Notepad or MS Word. At the very least I think it would be far simpler to manage and organize.

Return to posts index

Kalle Kannisto
Re: What’s the point of the “Book” function in Indesign?
on Aug 30, 2015 at 4:37:23 pm

In the Book window menu, there is a setting called "document numbering" where you can set the name of the section. All subsequent sections in the book become the same (until you set another section name in another document).

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]