FORUMS: list search recent posts

Layers and Spreads,

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
King Swami
Layers and Spreads,
on Apr 13, 2015 at 1:10:16 am

Someone on the forum posed a question:

When I use InDesign, the layers are the same for all of the spreads. So, for example, if I turn off a layer on one spread, it turns it off that same layer on all other spreads. Is there a way to disable this so that the layers are solitary for each spread

Here is my way/reply:

If you don't have a whole lot of spreads you might do this:

Do this for all spreads EXCEPT the one you want to work on, thus isolating it.
1. Use the selection tool and drag over everything on the spread to select everything.
2. From the "object" menu select "lock" (object => lock). The spread and all it's content will be locked and immovable.

Do this for all spreads EXCEPT the one you want to work on, thus isolating it. Now you can work on the isolated spread as if it was disabled -- therefore:

You can move things around on it or to different sub-layers;
You can start a new spread and copy to it from the isolated spread, or vice verse;
You can drag/select and edit=>copy just the guides from a layer in the isolated spread, then unlock one of the locked spreads, select a layer there, and edit=>"paste-in-place" the guides, in the exact same place, in the new spread;
And of course you can turn-off a layer on the isolated spread and all other spreads and there layers and groups will be locked and unaffected - unless you want them to be, in which case you can unlock that layer by clicking on it's lock icon in the layer's panel.
You can also unlock any object on a spread by double-clicking on it's lock icon located on the spread itself, and then lock it again with edit=>undo.

The possibilities are endless. Every time you want to work on an individual spread just isolate it by locking all other spreads but you can always unlock them for a moment and do something, then re-lock them. Obviously if you have a hundred spreads this could be a lot of work, but it's do-able.

Hope this helps.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]