FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is there a difference between MASTER pages and REGULAR pages?

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ashley marie
Is there a difference between MASTER pages and REGULAR pages?
on Jan 14, 2015 at 5:54:17 pm

We keep running into issues when applying master pages. It doesn't seem to matter WHICH master pages, and even when I create a brand new one to test out, it messes with he content on the regular page.

We have decided to start grouping all of the items on the regular pages to keep the Masters from messing with the regular pages, but I'm trying to understand why this is happening.

In some cases, applying the master page to a regular page completely moves text boxes to the outside margin for no apparent reason. EVEN WHEN THERE IS NOTHING ON THE MASTER PAGE.

WHYYYYYYYYYYY.

Is there a fundamental difference in the settings of Master Pages vs Regular Pages and if so where can we control them to make them exactly the same??

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
Re: Is there a difference between MASTER pages and REGULAR pages?
on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:19:25 pm

Is there a difference? Yes!
Master pages are used as templates for your 'regular' pages. Master pages should hold content that is common to a bunch of pages in your document. Anything you do to a master will be reflected on the 'regular' pages you have applied it to.

As for content being moved around when applying a master ...
Turn Liquid Layout off

hope that helps.

Return to posts index

ashley marie
on Jan 18, 2015 at 12:06:04 am

I know there's a major difference in Master pages and the regular pages but I was wondering if there's a different place to change settings. Like if you change the margins for the document, does that affect the Master page margins or do we change those separately, for example?

Ohhh what is Liquid Layout? I've never even seen that as an option any where! Where do I deal with it? As soon as I get in the office on Monday I'm investigating this!

THANKS!

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
on Jan 18, 2015 at 12:44:06 am

Liquid Layout is found under the Layout menu.

It was designed for people who have to adapt layouts to different specifications (eg. different tablet screen sizes, or whatever). It shifts and resizes things based on rules (eg. align to margins, or whatever).

It is turned ON by default. But this is a STUPID choice by Adobe, because the vast majority of users don't require this functionality and it just causes more problems than it solves.

Same with Live Preflight. A feature which is ON by default, but basically a pita.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]