FORUMS: list search recent posts

Applying Master Pages Changes Some Elements on Content Pages -- WHY????

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ashley marie
Applying Master Pages Changes Some Elements on Content Pages -- WHY????
on Jan 13, 2015 at 8:35:56 pm

Hello you amazing community. I come to you with another conundrum. I hope one of you have seen something like this happen before!

Each month we create a newsletter and then we brand it for our various clients - each client getting a different header/footer on all the pages. So we created Master Pages for each client, and when it comes time to export, we apply the Client Master Pages to the content pages and export for each client separately.

However, we have SO many problems with this because inevitably SOMETHING changes in the process. And I am determined to figure out why.

Here is what the bottom of the page looks like. in this particular troubling document. This has our own master page applied to it.

Then we apply Client X Master Page and BAM -- this happens:

The blue rectangle that the More Information is sitting on top gets PUSHED DOWN for no apparent reason.

I have investigated all of the master pages. There are no extra pieces of anything. Yet all of the master pages are doing this and I can't figure out why.

I've looked at the layers situation - there's nothing weird about how the layers are set up. I've even tried locking the content layer but this still occurs.

WHY does this happen?

The only way I've found to stop it is to GROUP everything in that section on the page before applying the masters.

But I'm trying to understand why this would happen?

Where should I look for anomalies? Would there be something about the grid or baseline grid I should check on the master pages vs the content pages? Is there some check mark somewhere I'm not thinking of?

I just am totally baffled since there's NOTHING in the middle of the Master Pages that would be affecting the colored box like that.

Any ideas, you brilliant people?? :)

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
Re: Applying Master Pages Changes Some Elements on Content Pages -- WHY????
on Jan 17, 2015 at 11:26:23 pm

See my response to your other post about items moving with master pages.

For this issue though, you are going about it in a difficult way.
If you just want to change branding content, it is much easier to set that up on separate layers and just turn on/off the layers as appropriate. Trying to reapply different masters throughout a document for such a simple change is really working waayyy too hard.

Return to posts index

ashley marie
on Jan 18, 2015 at 12:04:23 am

Huh, that never occurred to any of us to try.

So, instead of having 25 sets of master pages for the 25 clients, just have 25 layers that would then apply to ALL the pages in the document, and only turn on the layer you need before exporting, turn it off, turn on the next one, export, etc. ??? Is that what you're suggesting?

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
on Jan 18, 2015 at 12:36:57 am

100% recommendation.
Your time savings will be astronomical.
Your frustration level will plummet.
:-)+)

and, if you're on a Mac, you could even set up a script to automagically run through the whole turn off/turn on/export part of your process. saving even more time.

see the sort of stuff that can be done with applescript at my site : macgrunt.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]