FORUMS: list search recent posts

Images pixelated when exporting InDesign file into PDF

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jaeson Jrakman
Images pixelated when exporting InDesign file into PDF
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:24:55 pm

I am attempting to print an InDesign file to PDF. It is a calendar grid.

I have placed images for the phases of the moon into the appropriate dates.

the images were originally 72 dpi, and I increased it to 3-00 dpi before inserting them into InDesign.

I did not expand the size of the images, in fact I've reduced them by 10% by scaling the image.

I have the display quality set to high.

When I view the images in the file through InDesign, they look fine.

But when I export the file to a PDF, the images appear to be horribly pixelated.

Would anyone know what is causing this issue, and how to fix it?

Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Eric Gross
Re: Images pixelated when exporting InDesign file into PDF
on Aug 15, 2014 at 7:34:59 pm

Sounds to me the problem is your original file started as 72 dots per inch resolution. You can't just increase the resolution to 300DPI and expect PS to create beautifully sharp printable images. Going the other way sure. (but the smart kids out there will know to "Convert to a Smart Image" before they go scaling up and down.)

On Screen it looks fine because your screen is 72 dpi.

However if you've got a 72 dpi image and a 300 dpi image both at say one inch, and you zoom in you should notice the pixelation on screen.

The other issue, might be that your export pdf settings are low. Creates smaller pdfs, but for high quality prints 300dpi is a good minimum. Firey Printers near photographic at 1200dpi. Professional printers should start griping if you send them files below 150dpi.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]