on May 2, 2014 at 1:38:47 pm

I’ve many doublet poems which are formed in this way:

Verse 1:
Hallowed by thy name,
O my Lord

Verse 2:
Any isms I do not mind,
Atheism is my real find.

Like this and so on. My task here is to center align all the first lines of each of the verses. Then I’ve to align the second line in such a way that the two are vertically straight.

Also, All first lines are by default center aligned.

If you notice for instance the line
“Hallowed be thy name” is at a distance of 25 mm from left margin i.e H is 25 mm from left. The whole document is center aligned, so there is no necessity of formatting on the first lines of the doublet.
Consider the second line -”O my lord” The word O is 30 mm from left margin. I have to make the second line beginning at a distance of 25 mm from left. i.e O is in perfectly in line with H of first line i.e. 25 mm.

is there any technique to achieve this? can we make a grep(or something else?) to acheive this?

Please help me out as I am not clear regarding how to align the second line in same distance as the first line. There are 1000s of verses like these and manual working on all of them will finish all of my time. A little insight on how to achieve this would help a lot.

Greatly appreciated for your time and help.

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
Re: Tricky line aligment for huge sized doublet poems
on May 3, 2014 at 12:11:58 am

That's such an unusual way to align text, I can't think of an easy way to achieve it.

The only other way which comes to mind is to use a narrow invisible frame (no fill, no stroke) with text wrap applied to it — use this to quickly push the second line across (the second line needs to be aligned left)

Return to posts index

Chandru Ramesh
Re: Tricky line aligment for huge sized doublet poems
on May 3, 2014 at 6:15:18 am

Dear Dwayne,
Thankyou so much for your idea. This looks great, although I'm yet to try it out.

I'm not sure of how to implement it because I have never used an invisible frame with a text wrap applied to it. Yet, I'll very soon try it out.

You've very well understand the problem, but still I'm attaching a screenshot for you to have a look at it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o86n9s2a5gdpdfm/Indesign.jpg

Thankyou again Dwayne, I'm so very grateful.

Yours - Chandru Ramesh.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]