Select a column from a tab delimited

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thiery roussel
Select a column from a tab delimited
on Nov 14, 2013 at 1:35:53 am

Q?
Is it possible to select only one column of text separate by tab

I'm in the process of creating a template for closing credits.... trilling!
And I figure the tabs will be the simplest way to get the standard 2 columns.

But I want to be able to select only the left or right column and apply a different character style.
How do i get this?

My dummy text is formatted like this;

(tab) Title (tab) Full Name
(tab) Driver (tab) John Doe

Best

Return to posts index

Paul Fullilove
Re: Select a column from a tab delimited
on Nov 14, 2013 at 3:13:10 am

Hello. It looks like you might want to create object styles for each column. Check out the following:
http://blog.lynda.com/2013/05/16/indesign-secrets-three-great-object-styles.... It's the third little (photo credits)tutorial in the video towards the end. You should be able to adapt that to what you need.

Return to posts index

thiery roussel
on Nov 14, 2013 at 2:08:47 pm

I get the tutorial. Not sure how this could help me.
The two columns are in the same text box. And I want to select just one.

Return to posts index

Paul Fullilove
on Nov 14, 2013 at 7:16:14 pm

My mistake. I assumed that you used two text frames or two columns in a table. I would suggest that you pose your question to the indesignsecrets.com forum. That way David Blatner or others well versed in InDesign could help you out. Sorry.

Return to posts index

thiery roussel
on Nov 14, 2013 at 7:51:19 pm

Thank Paul for your ressources.
I see how this would be easier to format if i had multiple text box, but i try to achieve the less copy&paste from an external document, wich introduce potential errors. If that path doesn't work, I may go to different text box or tables.
Best

Return to posts index

Paul Fullilove
on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:23:35 pm

Don't give up hope yet. If you are copying and pasting from a word document DON'T. Use the Place command in the File menu. When the dialog box displays make sure you select the preserve text & table radio button. That way your word styles have a good chance importing intact. You can leave import styles selected. I always place in a text frame. If everything look kinda good then you can create your character styles. Anne Marie Concepcion has a great course on lynda.com that goes through this very process in detail. You might be able to view it without having to purchase anything.

Good Luck

Return to posts index

Paul Fullilove
on Nov 14, 2013 at 8:27:40 pm

One more thing I forgot. Make sure you check mark show import options in the Place dialog box. If you don't, you never get to the Place option dialog box.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]