FORUMS: list search recent posts

Object style issues

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rod Garcia
Object style issues
on Jan 7, 2012 at 5:59:12 pm

I work for a small community newspaper that recently just updated all our machines from CS2 to CS5.5. Best Christmas present ever.

Now that we're out of the stone age, I'm wanting to take advantage of the more recent style features in CS5.5.

Currently we use paragraph styles for the majority of our formatting, with some character styles here and there.

At my previous publication we used a lot of object styles that just worked off grouped paragraph styles, so formatting a story just took one click.

However, I can't seem to get around one hurdle that's stopping me from implementing object styles at my new publication.

Our stories have a dateline at the beginning of each story. This is a character style we use called dateline that formats the text in a different font, uppercase and bold, followed by an em dash before the article begins with a body text paragraph style.

Before that there is an author paragraph style and a publication paragraph style.

Essentially it looks like this:

Joe Smith
The Daily
CITY HERE — Article begins here.

I'm having issues finding a way to get the dateline character style to mesh with the rest of the paragraph styles to make it one smooth object style.

I tried to make it a nested style within the body text paragraph style, which works if the article is only one paragraph. Obviously all of our stories are more than one paragraph, so the nested dateline character style gets applied to every paragraph, which is not what needs to happen. I just want it applied to the first paragraph (which features the dateline) and then continue with the regular body text paragraph style for the remainder of the article's paragraphs.

My goal isn't so much for regular articles because each page only about five articles on it, but for our obituary page which can have up to 15 or 20. We use separate text boxes for each obit, so the ability to just cut and paste the text into a text box, apply one object style and be done would be a great time saver.

If there is an easier way to do this without using nested styles or even object styles for that matter, I am all for it. I'm just trying to figure out a solution to not have to go through 15 articles and apply three separate paragraph styles and one character style.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks

RZG

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]