FORUMS: list search recent posts

Is this the best way to text wrap inline objects like pictures?

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert Walker
Is this the best way to text wrap inline objects like pictures?
on Jan 5, 2012 at 3:10:12 am

Hi, I've been using InDesign for around five years now and myself, and everyone I've come across, has text wrapped pictures by putting the object over the top of the text and then turning on text wrap.

It's been a real pain when working with long documents of many pages in one story, but I and all my colleagues have always been told that's just the way that InDesign works.

I came across this yesterday:

http://www.onsitetrainingcourses.com.au/main/page_blog_wrapping_text_around...

It works, though it's a little fiddly with the first (and previous) line from the anchor point and the screen doesn't seem to update while dragging the object as you'd expect in InDesign, but generally it seems to work. I wish I knew this five years ago.

My question is: Can anybody see a problem with this procedure? I'm reluctant to start making new documents this way until I can feel confident I am not unwittingly causing other problems, especially since it doesn't use any of the settings in the panel. Or is this something everybody except me already knew about?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dwayne Smith
Re: Is this the best way to text wrap inline objects like pictures?
on Jan 6, 2012 at 5:17:18 am

G'day Robert

It depends on which version of InDesign you're working with.

If you have CS4 or below, then that's the best way to get your images to move with your text as it reflows.

CS5 is much MUCH better — you now have a little blue 'anchor control' near the top right corner of your image frame — just drag that little blue dot to the place in the text you want to anchor the frame to — then drag the frame to where you want it to sit.

As text reflows the frame will move with it — but now you can also easily reposition the frame manually without breaking the anchor — the image frame is a lot more independent now.

Hope that makes sense

m.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]