FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Won't Play inside Swf File

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa Hurley
Video Won't Play inside Swf File
on Sep 19, 2011 at 12:49:10 am

So, I spent a day figuring out how to get this page curl effect out of InDesign, and I finally did it. Now that I've got it all uploaded, the video won't play. I have the flv video uploaded to the same folder as the html and swf. It was embedded directly into the document from Indesign, using the interactive setting. It works fine when exported to a pdf. And it SHOULD work inside this swf, but it's not for some unknown reason.

Is there anything anyone can think of that I might not have done?

I've got the html, swf, and flv all in the same folder.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Lisa
http://www.lisahurley.net/misc/LloydSims2.html

Return to posts index

Bradley Kutmas
Re: Video Won't Play inside Swf File
on Sep 23, 2011 at 1:47:42 pm

Assuming your browser has Flash Player Version 10.0.2 and you did not move any folders before uploading to the server (breaking links) I don't see why it wouldn't work.

When you moved your work files to your root directory, did you keep the file structure the same?

Bradley Kutmas

Return to posts index

Lisa Hurley
on Sep 23, 2011 at 2:03:53 pm

Well, yes. I uploaded the files into my main directory on my website. They are all within one subfolder. The video is the only problem. The video file was uploaded to that same folder (in the flv format). It plays on my computer, but not when viewed online. I've tried viewing it in Mozilla as well as IE. I get the same thing. Just a black box. I have also made sure my Flash player was up to date... so I'm clueless. I finally went ahead and just used the flv as it was... to show as a regular video, although I was quite happy with the little flash "flip book" I had created. Just sorry that something I spent so much time on didn't work. :(

Return to posts index

Bradley Kutmas
on Sep 23, 2011 at 3:22:43 pm

It sounds like the SWF is calling upon the FLV, but cannot locate it. When you place a FLV video file to indesign layout and export it as SWF, indesign creates a folder named [filename]_Resources. All your placed media files will be stored into that folder. When you play the exported SWF, indesign will load media files dynamically from that folder. So, that folder name convention is important for the SWF to locate the FLV.

I don't know what version of Indesign you're working with, or what other adobe software you have proficiency in, but I personally would export the Indesign layout as a XFL file, then open it in Adobe Flash. From there, add interactivity such as buttons, links, videos, transitions etc. Given the amount of time you spent adding the page curl, it may not be worth it at this point, or maybe it is.

Are you using Dreamweaver for putting files? If not, what is your method?

Bradley Kutmas

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]