FORUMS: list search recent posts

what is the equivalent of masking in inDesign

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dawud Ali
what is the equivalent of masking in inDesign
on Jun 2, 2011 at 6:30:44 pm

Hi guys thanks for your time

what is the equivalent of masking in inDesign so to have more control when cropping placed images?

i try using the pen tool i can't figure how to select points individually? using command or alt or shift or a special button while selecting a point

thanks for your time in advance

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
Re: what is the equivalent of masking in inDesign
on Jun 5, 2011 at 5:02:11 pm

Personally, I do all of my masking in Photoshop and then bring the file into InDesign. I am just a lot more comfortable manipulating images in PS and find that it's much more powerful.

I might be missing the point of your question and if so, my apologies. If I am, hopefully someone else will jump in and more directly respond to your question.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Dawud Ali
on Jun 5, 2011 at 10:20:17 pm

That's alright, use what u already know right. and ps does have capable tools. sometimes you may want to create a quick outline or crop an images directly, instead of using other applications.

i think what i found is you can add points using the pen tool and then use the white arrow, shift select single point and manipulate.

thanks

Return to posts index

Ronald Lindeboom
on Jun 5, 2011 at 10:29:07 pm

I like to have more control than I can get using some of InDesign's masking tools. But in the end, it is use whatever tool works for you. This has never been a one-size-fits-all world.

If you get satisfactory results, Dawud, I would love to see what you come up with. I always like to learn new things.

Best regards,

Ronald Lindeboom
CEO, Creative COW LLC
Publisher, Creative COW Magazine

Creativity is a process wherein the student and the teacher are located in the same individual.

"Incompetence has never prevented me from plunging in with enthusiasm."
- Woody Allen

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Jun 8, 2011 at 8:34:04 pm

For your TRUELY simple stuff...

Click the image with your "Selection Tool" (v)
Now select the "Add Anchor Point Tool" (=)
Click on the image border to add some points
Finally, use your "Direct Selection Tool" (a) and move to points to crop it out.

For the little bit more involved, you can try the Detect Edges. (Object>Clipping Path>Options...) You can get a rough outline with it and then clean it up with the Direct Selection Tool.

But, as Ron says, the best tool for the job is Photoshop. Indy can do well though for those quick and sloppy jobs.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Dawud Ali
on Jun 9, 2011 at 7:30:37 pm

thanks for sharing those tips especially the last one, should come in handy

thanks again

Return to posts index

Mark Williams
on Jul 8, 2013 at 2:40:04 pm

You basically just edit the frames with the pen tool and the direct selection tool

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]