FORUMS: list search recent posts

TOC for pdf book export

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jennifer Kimberley
TOC for pdf book export
on Mar 17, 2011 at 9:44:19 pm

Hello,
I'm using InDesign for the first time for a 30-chapter book. Book seems fine when exported except for several persistent puzzles. For now, my question is: How to make the TOC entries go to their destinations?

I followed the Adobe Help instructions exactly in manually typing this TOC (I want it to be the navigation too), creating text anchors in each chapter heading, and hyperlinks to go to them from the TOC. The TOC entries get the hand cursor; the two blue dots are visible next to the anchor text. But when I do a test export to pdf, the TOC entries do nothing.

What am I missing? Any tips and guidance will be very welcome, especially as I'm under time pressure. Thanks a lot.
Jenny K.

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: TOC for pdf book export
on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:22:47 pm

I don't have any first hand experience with this, but I could guess it might be a setting when you export your pdf? Make sure in the dialog box to click the check boxes for "bookmarks", "hyperlinks", etc....

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Jennifer Kimberley
on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:37:23 pm

Hello Terry,
Thanks for your reply. I've learned that InDesign CS5 has a bug that somehow inactivates links when you export to interactive pdf. If I export to print (which still allows a downloadable version), the links work fine! So everything I did in creating the links was OK, which is reassuring; but it seems hard to believe that Adobe would put out software for eBooks that inactivates links!

My final problem for this eBook is how to disable all the functions in Acrobat X Pro so the end user won't be able to change the text or send it to hundreds of people free etc. Do you have any experience with this? I have zero, but must figure it out today. If you know anyone who could help by answering questions, I'd be SO grateful!

Thanks in advance,
Jenny

JennyK

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Mar 21, 2011 at 5:46:40 pm

Yup, those would be Acrobat Pro settings.
Check out the document properties (CMD-D) of the pdf while open in Acrobat. There you can set security settings including a password to open the document, printing restrictions, etc.... However, it won't keep a dishonest person from giving away password information when they disseminate the pdf. So its up to you how much you want to inconvenience your customers for the sake of "security".

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Jennifer Kimberley
on Mar 21, 2011 at 6:32:21 pm

OK, so is the whole story in that File/Properties option? No other places where you hide things or disable them?

JennyK

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]