FORUMS: list search recent posts

Book Size versus Cover Size; Overset Text and Missing Fonts

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Shaun Knapp
Book Size versus Cover Size; Overset Text and Missing Fonts
on Jan 1, 2011 at 5:30:43 pm

I'm helping prepare a book for press. The main document (book) is an 11 x 8.5" size. It appears the book cover and end pages will be their own document size. Any pointers I should have in preparing that document in terms of size? Would it be 11.2" x 8.7" or so?

I guess I better check with the printer. Thought I'd check for any good insights here to be made aware of.

Oh, also, when I put out a PDF of the book, I get "overset text" warnings for various pages. Is that merely attempting to warn of flow of one text box to another? I wouldn't think so, but the pages warned of have little evidence of anything wrong.

And in terms of font. I have Garamond showing as missing when I export. WHy would that be? The font is installed on my system (Mac), so should I browse for it, or a substitute font to avoid that warning in the future?

Return to posts index

Mike Biewer
Re: Book Size versus Cover Size; Overset Text and Missing Fonts
on Jan 18, 2011 at 5:59:58 pm

Shaun,

It sounds like you've got a couple of things wrong within your document. Let's look at these quickly, one by one.

As for size, always talk to the printer. Different printers can print different sizes and with different bleed/margin settings. So its best to talk with them before laying anything out.

Secondly, the overset text is an error that pops up when you have a text box that has more text in it that is not being diplayed. Go to the pages it is telling you, highlight the boxes and any box with a little red + sign within a red box in the bottom right are boxes that have over set text. Most times, its extra paragraph returns that got over looked. However, are you using text threads so that text from one box flows into the next box naturally or are all of your text boxes independent of each other and when you need to adjust text in one, you are adjusting text in all of them?

As for the fonts...That's a tricky one. My guess would be that somewhere in your file you've used a font or made an adjustment to a font accidentally that doesn't exist. Meaning, maybe you told Garamond somewhere to be Bold, but you don't have the bold face for the family. The real kick in the pants is that it could just be a blank space somewhere. The real remedy to this issue to know and understand how paragraph and character styles work and use them properly because your only solution is to turn on hidden characters and go through paragraph by paragraph and look for any paragraph that when highlighted, the upper left box that shows font and formatting goes blank. That means you have more than one formatting set to the characters inside of that box. Adjust from there.

Hope some of that helps. I would suggest if you are going to be doing a lot of InDesign work, that you hit up a few basic tutorials, get a book or take a quick class. InDesign is super power and awesome! I actually don't do anything in Word anymore because I can write and format quicker in InDesign and it just looks nicer.

Good luck!

Mike

Return to posts index

Shaun Knapp
Re: Book Size versus Cover Size; Overset Text and Missing Fonts
on Jan 20, 2011 at 8:05:56 am

Mike,

Thanks for the tips. I was able to run the "Preflight" thing that brought me from text box to text box that had the problems. Some were hidden with nothing by hard returns in them anyway. I just deleted them.

Shaun K.

"It is, in fact, nothing short of a miracle that the modern methods of instruction have not yet entirely strangled the holy curiosity of inquiry; for this delicate little plant, aside from stimulation, stands mainly in need of freedom; without this it goes to rack and ruin without fail. It is a very grave mistake to think that the engagement of seeing and searching can be promoted by means of coercion and a sense of duty." --- Albert Einstien

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]