FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aligning paragraph frames to images

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aaron Delwiche
Aligning paragraph frames to images
on Jun 7, 2010 at 5:24:30 pm

Hi,

I've been working with InDesign for the past month to create a 317 page book linked to a project undertaken with students at Trinity University.

A relatively short excerpt of this book is posted at:

http://www.trinity.edu/adelwich/rh.sample.pdf

InDesign is a terrific program, but I've been stymied by the inability to create macros for repetitive tasks. I realize that style settings are supposed to take care of such issues, but these were not planned into my project up front.

Here is the problem: On almost every page, I have some sort of image in the left or right column, and there is a text-frame with autonumbered caption text beneath my image objects. I'm trying to standardize the distance between the image objects and the captions frames beneath them. (To clarify, these caption text frames are just paragraph styles that I created for this purpose. I'm not using any sort of automatic caption feature within the program.)

At this point, I'm manually going to each page and moving the text frame up the column until the top of the frame snaps to the bottom of the object. Then, I'm hitting shift down arrow to move the frame down the page. And then, I'm hitting up arrow five times to consistently place the image.

Here are my questions: (1) Is there any way to automate this action or should I just do it manually for now? (2) In future projects, if I want to avoid this situation, what steps should I take?

I realize this is probably a faq, and I can read through assorted tutorials on my own. For some reason the search phrases that I'm using (e.g. macros or actions or "align text frame to bottom of image") haven't really paid off.

I'm sending the final PDF to the printer this afternoon, so I suspect that the tedious manual solution might be my only choice.

Thanks!

Aaron

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]