FORUMS: list search recent posts

Newspaper articles to CMS

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Cole Eutzy
Newspaper articles to CMS
on Feb 21, 2010 at 2:21:10 pm

Hi I work at a newspaper and I'm having a little trouble transferring articles to the web.
lets say I have this indesign document with stories and there formated in a mla kinda style i.e

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In sodales tempus eros, vitae scelerisque velit dictum id. Etiam quis ligula nisl. Etiam et aliquet lacus. Duis aliquet sagittis sollicitudin. In vel felis in tortor dignissim sagittis. Nullam eu ligula at magna volutpat lacinia quis condimentum nibh. Nunc euismod tincidunt est, vel pulvinar ligula dignissim a. Cras consectetur dictum elementum. Nullam nec justo magna. Cras eget sem mauris, eget varius enim.
Duis id suscipit arcu. Mauris pulvinar mauris at mi laoreet iaculis. Pellentesque lorem purus, pellentesque non vehicula at, euismod at turpis. Donec rutrum eros et lorem suscipit et aliquet nibh dignissim. Quisque dapibus cursus enim at consectetur. Duis dictum imperdiet ante. Nulla ut risus est. Vivamus volutpat consectetur lacus, et vestibulum dolor hendrerit non. Nulla lobortis volutpat orci, at fermentum lacus laoreet vitae. Fusce scelerisque libero sed velit pharetra fringilla. Aliquam erat volutpat. Phasellus sed erat ipsum, sed tempor mauris. Donec dolor turpis, vulputate at vestibulum sed, condimentum a quam. Morbi pharetra, mi in commodo posuere, massa turpis semper tellus, ut fermentum odio tortor vitae mi. Vivamus in est sapien.

I want it to be like this, adding a line break after the paragraph ends.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. In sodales tempus eros, vitae scelerisque velit dictum id. Etiam quis ligula nisl. Etiam et aliquet lacus. Duis aliquet sagittis sollicitudin. In vel felis in tortor dignissim sagittis. Nullam eu ligula at magna volutpat lacinia quis condimentum nibh. Nunc euismod tincidunt est, vel pulvinar ligula dignissim a. Cras consectetur dictum elementum. Nullam nec justo magna. Cras eget sem mauris, eget varius enim.

Duis id suscipit arcu. Mauris pulvinar mauris at mi laoreet iaculis. Pellentesque lorem purus, pellentesque non vehicula at, euismod at turpis. Donec rutrum eros et lorem suscipit et aliquet nibh dignissim. Quisque dapibus cursus enim at consectetur. Duis dictum imperdiet ante. Nulla ut risus est. Vivamus volutpat consectetur lacus, et vestibulum dolor hendrerit non. Nulla lobortis volutpat orci, at fermentum lacus laoreet vitae. Fusce scelerisque libero sed velit pharetra fringilla. Aliquam erat volutpat. Phasellus sed erat ipsum, sed tempor mauris. Donec dolor turpis, vulputate at vestibulum sed, condimentum a quam. Morbi pharetra, mi in commodo posuere, massa turpis semper tellus, ut fermentum odio tortor vitae mi. Vivamus in est sapien.

HOW CAN I DO THIS?

Ive been trying to find an option under the find dialogue where you can select the story and change the formatting but I can't seem to figure out which setting accomplishes what I want, any ideas?

P.s i have a ton of stories i need to do this to so it would save me tons of time if i figure it out. suggestions on where to look?

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: Newspaper articles to CMS
on Feb 22, 2010 at 2:46:26 pm

Well, in InDesign, you would get that formatting by adding space-before or space-after paragraph, preferably applied via a Paragraph Style with the requisite values entered in the Indents and Spacing panel.

Thing is, there's no guarantee that it will transfer through the CMS that way. If the CMS generates simple HTML pages, adding the extra return, (as you did in your posted example above), would probably do the trick. If the CMS generates pages subject to CSS rules, you may have to get someone at the host end to alter the template.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: Newspaper articles to CMS
on Feb 27, 2010 at 3:49:16 pm

You need to be sure the InDesign file is correctly formatted.. you are using style sheets, right? So the stories should all be wrapping until you have actually entered one return for a new paragraph. What you can do is search and replace all instances of a return with two returns.

Then, select all (the whole document) and export the text as Rich Text Format (extension of .rtf). This will give you raw text with basic formatting, ie.. bold, italic, paragraphs etc.

This will give you the text with options that can easily be searched and replaced with particular css/html tags that will get you what you need.

Are you doing the conversion and posting or are you just to supply the text to a web person?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]