FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign losing/corrupting links

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Schenk
InDesign losing/corrupting links
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:13:03 pm

I'd greatly appreciate any help as this problem is getting very frustrating!

Here are the details:
* InDesign CS4 is crashing after it spontaneously loses a link.
* I have most of the links for my work on another computer that is acting as a file server.
* Usually, InDesign will give me warning before it crashes because the preflight "green light" at the bottom of the window will suddenly turn red. When I go to the links panel, the offending link's file path will be gibberish.
* Occasionally InDesign will not immediately crash. When I try to relink the file, it will give me an error box stating that I do not have permission or the [linked] file is under use.
* Before purchasing CS4, I was using CS2 for several years without any problems.
* All the computers on the LAN are running Windows XP with all the latest updates and patches.
* I've reinstalled CS4 multiple times and have kept it up to date with all the latest patches, none of which has helped.
* The problem is very sporadic. I can be working with multiple files for hours and never have an issue, or InDesign can crash multiple times in an hour.
* I've tried clearing InDesign's cache and deleted the prefs - didn't help though.

Like I said, I'd appreciate any help! Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: InDesign losing/corrupting links
on Jan 28, 2010 at 2:45:15 am

With InDdesin not running, search your local and remote drives for "lock files." These will have the file extension .idlk. Delete any you find.

InDesign writes these lock files every time you're working on a document...usually in the same folder as the .indd file. When the file and InDesign are closed/quit in normal fashion, the lock file disappears, but when there's a crash, it often stays behind in an orphaned state, and will interfere in linking/relinking during subsequent sessions the way you describe.

John M:
All of the vim with none of that annoying vigor.

Return to posts index

Matt Schenk
on Jan 28, 2010 at 5:53:40 pm

I tried your advice (thanks!) and found only one InDesign lock file. I've deleted it, but am doubtful it will help since it was in a location separate from where the bulk of my files reside (unless ANY InDesign lock files can cause problems, in which case hopefully this will solve my problem).

I guess I now have to sit back and wait to see if it happens again.

Return to posts index

Matt Schenk
on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:09:11 pm

Boy, this problem is driving me up the wall. It still continues and I can't find anything to fix it. I'm ready to pull an Office Space on this computer.

Return to posts index

John Dooner
on May 12, 2010 at 8:16:03 am

Hi,

I don't work with Indesign (CS4) but a team of people in the company do and they reported the same error. Links dropping and as a result Indesign (unable to repair the link) crashes. The one common thing between this forum and all other forums, everyone is working of network files and documents. I've asked 1 user to work locally to see if that will increase stability within Indesign. This is just a test and not very practical for a team collaborating together.

The link below gives a few hints and tips on how to get around it. People there are blaming IT admins for moving or deleting files. That’s not the case here. Indesign CS4 is a poor product with many bugs. 1 user mentions packaging the files. This is something I need to try out this week!

Best of luck!

Doons

http://creativebits.org/indesign_and_embedding_images

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]