FORUMS: list search recent posts

InDesign CS4 progam conversion to DVD

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Oliano
InDesign CS4 progam conversion to DVD
on Dec 31, 2009 at 1:57:28 pm

I have written a cookbook using InDesign CS4 and would like to make it availabe on DVD. How do I go about this process?

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: InDesign CS4 progam conversion to DVD
on Feb 3, 2010 at 3:41:02 pm

Can it be done? Sure, anything is possible. I don't think that it will look very good though. There are vastly different resolutions between TV and print. The other concern I have is feasibility. I do the cooking in my home. I would much rather have a printed piece of paper rather than look at a screen. (I've done it before with online recipes and my laptop.) The second part is I don't have a DVD player in my kitchen. (Unless I, again, use the laptop – which just isn't convenient and not a good idea to spill/splash ingredients on it.)

However, having said all that, there could be a great use for this that I have not thought about. Here are the steps to make the transfer:

1. Export your cookbook from Indy to jpg (quality=high, format=baseline, resolution=150)
2. Import you jpgs into your DVD authoring software as a slideshow.
3. Format and burn

The other option is you make video files for each section (ie apps, main course, desserts) with each video having a still of your jpg for each recipe. Then when you import the videos into the DVD author, you place a chapter marker at each recipe and have it loop back on itself. Your DVD menu would point to each of the different videos (apps, main course, desserts, etc.) Once in the section that you want, advance each chapter to get a different recipe.

Both of these options have terrible end user navigation. I hope someone has a better idea, but I can't think of any. Sorry.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

ps-None of my comments are meant to be gospel. Otherwise, I would write a book that provided all the cold, hard, fast answers that everyone assumes are out there. These are the things that I have found to work well with my shooting habits and workflow. Always try things out for yourself and deduce the best workflow for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]