FORUMS: list search recent posts

Viewing InDesign PDF's in Mac Preview

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sofi Marshall
Viewing InDesign PDF's in Mac Preview
on Dec 6, 2009 at 8:32:23 pm

Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to make a PDF of my InDesign file that has quite a bit of transparency effects. When I created a "Press Quality" PDF, many of the transparencies get thrown out of whack when I view the file in the Preview application on my mac. For example, some object appear more transparent that they actually are in InDesign. I also have gradients that serves as backgrounds for most of the pages. Some of these gradients look perfect... others just appear as a solid color that's sort of in the middle of the gradient. When I open the file in Adobe Reader, everything looks fine. The problem is, I need this PDF to function as a digital book and I know that most of the recipients of the PDF are mac uses and will mostly likely open it up in Preview. Does anyone had any ideas for how I can make a good looking PDF that will appear correctly in Preview?

I've experimented with different PDF export settings and gotten some great looking results as far as my transparency effects go, however those PDF's always come up with white boxes around the images that are just as unacceptable.

I'm new to InDesign and would really appreciate if anyone could help me better understand exporting to PDFs.

Thanks a lot!

Sofi

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: Viewing InDesign PDF's in Mac Preview
on Dec 7, 2009 at 1:12:53 am

Two things:
1. Do these "errors" appear in your Indy document when you turn on separations preview?
2. What settings did you use that produced better pdfs, but gave you white boxes? (I assume it flattened your transparencies, rather than leaving them live.) Did you try the preset "high quality print"?

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

ps-None of my comments are meant to be gospel. Otherwise, I would write a book that provided all the cold, hard, fast answers that everyone assumes are out there. These are the things that I have found to work well with my shooting habits and workflow. Always try things out for yourself and deduce the best workflow for you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]