FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing 'Catalogue' data that updates after editing csv/xls

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Robinson
Importing 'Catalogue' data that updates after editing csv/xls
on Oct 13, 2009 at 8:50:52 am

Hey,

I've got an interesting problem that I'm struggling to find a solution for. I have searched for it, but found most references to mail merging which isn't what I'm after.

Basically, I have a catalogue in InDesign, 80+ pages. Previously, I've typed in Product Code, Name, Price, Description etc. in para and character styles, but as the process draws on, prices change, colours change etc.

So, what I've created is an Excel file with these headers like Price, Colour, Product Code etc. and want to import them into the various sections of InDesign. That way, I can worry about placement and, if someone wants to change a price, they can do so in the excel spreadsheet.

After they edit, I want to open InDesign and for the changes to be reflected. Basically, just rechecking the data source.

Hope someone can help, I have tried InCatalog and EasyCatalog but both are either unsuitable or won't update my data after importing (EC esp.)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: Importing 'Catalogue' data that updates after editing csv/xls
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:15:39 pm

Andrew, as it appears you've already ascertained, neither simple placing nor InDesign's built-in Data Merge will accommodate the live-updating scenario you desire. You do indeed need a catalog plug-in for that. I have no experience with those you mentioned, but Woodwing's Smart Catalog does what you want. I used it to populate the table cells in this document:
http://www.garland-group.com/docs/uploaded/gar/products/A_ALL_PB_USASEPT08_...

Return to posts index

Andrew Robinson
Re: Importing 'Catalogue' data that updates after editing csv/xls
on Oct 13, 2009 at 2:20:24 pm

John, thanks for your reply and information! I have had a look at Smart Catalog and will give it a try. I'll let you know how I get on!

Andy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]