FORUMS: list search recent posts

Matching Digital Page Numbers to Print Out Page Numbers

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jessica Long
Matching Digital Page Numbers to Print Out Page Numbers
on Oct 6, 2009 at 7:56:31 pm

Hello!

I apologize if I have overlooked the answer to my conundrum. I've been searching for days. I am a newborn InDesign user; please forgive my ignorance.

I have a 116 page manuscript of poetry; it contains one poem per page. I put all the pages into InDesign and turned on the auto page numbering. I printed out the entire document so I could see it spread out on a table, then I re-ordered the pages manually.

My problem is this: I don't know how to freeze the digital document's page numbers so that I may drag them into the order I've devised on my kitchen table. Does that make sense? Currently the pages in the digital and the printout match -- but once I begin dragging pages around in InDesign, they will no longer match the print out.

I would greatly appreciate your advice on how to go about accomplishing this task. I know I may need to start over in some way, but am hoping there's a clever way to preserve what I've done so far and continue to a solution.

Thank you so much for your time!
Jessica

Return to posts index

John Mensinger
Re: Matching Digital Page Numbers to Print Out Page Numbers
on Oct 9, 2009 at 12:09:53 pm

If I understand you correctly, I don't think you'll be able to do this in InDesign. (Honestly, I'm not sure I understand why you'd want to do it.) Auto page numbers are just that, and I don't know of any way to "release" their automatic nature so they may be rearranged out of sequence. If you have Acrobat, however, you can export to PDF and reorder the pages in Acrobat, where the page numbers will stay with their respective pages, regardless of the order.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]