FORUMS: list search recent posts

Massive Link Update and Export to PDF

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeffry Chen
Massive Link Update and Export to PDF
on Sep 12, 2009 at 2:44:41 am

I was forced to create an Indesign document (master) that is nothing but "PLACE"ment of smaller Indesign documents (3 per page), and all the smaller Indesign documents contain a graphic that can be updated at any time.

But when I open the master document after a graphic (in a smaller document) has been updated, I can not automatcally update all the links from the master document. The master document tells me which "smaller" documents need updating, but I am forced to open **each** individual smaller document "Edit original" (that has been changed) and have that smaller document update the graphic link (and save it), before the master document sees the updated graphics.

This is a real pain.

Also, I would like to place hyperlinks in the smaller documents, but if I do that and then Export to PDF the master dcument, the hyperlinks will not "export through" to the PDF from the smaller documents. I am forced to place hyperlinks in the master document, which I do not want to do in case the order of the smaller documents gets moved around.

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Kelly Johnson
Re: Massive Link Update and Export to PDF
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:04:02 pm

What version of InDesign are you using to place the Indesign documents into?

Are all the documents (master and smaller) created with the same version and on the same platform?

This might be a scripting issue to handle it.

"Forced" is a strong word! My line has always been "We can do this that way or the professional way. Now don't get embarrassed, this is where experience is useful" of course you need to say all that with a 'smile' in your voice.

Doesn't seem ideal but after your response to this post, I'll see if I can think of anything.

Return to posts index

Jeffry Chen
Re: Massive Link Update and Export to PDF
on Sep 18, 2009 at 3:53:11 pm

CS4 6.0.3 (latest)

Yes, all docs created in same version.

I have 275 individual docs I will have to open mnaualy **each one** to get the graphics updated so they update in the Master document as well. A real headache

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]