FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Data Merge to publish database of names

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Keith Faber
Using Data Merge to publish database of names
on Sep 1, 2009 at 9:57:18 pm

Hello all, I'm exploring ways to improve the process of layout my organization's publication.

In our organization we have many districts and each district has a list of contacts (position, name, email, phone). We list each district's contacts on the corresponding page in the publication (created in InDesign CS3).

I plan on having each district's rep maintain a .csv database of the contacts, and then using Data Merge to import the names (which change) each month.

I figured out how to import using Data Merge, but I can't seem to manipulate the way the data is displayed. I want the contacts to list one after another, rather than each in its own text frame as it is displaying now.

Can anyone point me in the right direction with this? Ideally I'd like to have all of the records import to the same text box. I really appreciate any suggestions that you might have.

Thanks much.

Keith

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
Re: Using Data Merge to publish database of names
on Sep 11, 2009 at 7:25:36 pm

I would make the text frame first (before importing the data), and place dummy data so you get an idea of layout.

John Doe 555-1234
Jane Doe 555-4321

Then apply the font, style, size, etc...to get it the way you like. Then import data to the Data Merge window. Highlight the name ("John Doe") in the document and then double-click the corresponding data name in the Data Merge window. Then repeat for each of the number of names you have. After that do the same for the other data (address, phone number, etc.)

Personally, I don't think this is the ideal solution or situation in which to use InDesign. From what I gather in your post, Microsoft Excel would be better.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]