FORUMS: list search recent posts

Placing a PSD changes InDesign colours!?

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Josh Thurston
Placing a PSD changes InDesign colours!?
on Jul 28, 2009 at 3:17:30 pm

Hi, I'm new to InDesign. I've made a document in InDesign CS4, using all the defaults.

I'm trying to add a button graphic I made in fireworks. It is a simple rectangle with rounded edges.

I have added several images to my ID document with no problems. However I've noticed alpha channels don't seem to work from PNG or TIF files. I can use the 'clipping' method but this seems to struggle despite the image being a very basic shape. (I've played with the sliders but it comes out wonky?)

So I try adding it as a PSD which gives me the transparency I want, but changes all the colours of the document!?
I have tried embedding the colour profile in the PSD and tried without but nothing makes a difference. It just wont accept the PSD without altering all the colours.

Any advice?

I'm assuming this is something to do with colour profiles, perhaps an RGB - CMYK conflict?

Thanks

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Terry Mikkelsen
Re: Placing a PSD changes InDesign colours!?
on Aug 8, 2009 at 1:26:26 pm

Just as a test, I would place the tif and png into the document anywhere. Now goto "Window>Output>Separations Preview" With that palette open, now select the drop-down menu from Off to Separations. Notice the colors. Now while still viewing the separations, place the psd file. Did the colors change for the entire document? Did the colors of your png or tiff change? Write back the results of the test.

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

Josh Thurston
on Aug 9, 2009 at 8:53:24 pm

Ah ok, thank you. The colours change as soon as the preview is set to 'separations'. However, the colours don't change when placing the PSD.
So I take it I've been working with RGB colours in a CMYK document? I thought I had changed it to RGB, but perhaps I merely changed the colour palette of a particular object?

I just saved the PSD with a CMYK profile but it still changes the text colour. So the plot thickens... lol

Thanks again.

Josh

Return to posts index

Terry Mikkelsen
on Aug 10, 2009 at 1:50:02 pm

I guess the question now is: What is your final output intent? Are you or your intended audience going to print this document? Or is this for a website to be displayed on a monitor only?

If printing is involved, you should try to get your colors correct in the CMYK profile and so that they look "right" on the screen when you choose separations preview. I only use InDesign for this purpose so I don't have as much RGB experience in this program. I assume that you could retain the RGB graphics and output a pdf which does not alter the colors. But in creating a pdf, in my mind, assumes the document would get printed at some point.

If your intent is a web page, I would design in DreamWeaver or another web authoring program. This would retain your RGB files and display them properly.

Good Luck!

Tech-T Productions
http://www.technical-t.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]