FORUMS: list search recent posts

Import Word with Images

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rex Brown
Import Word with Images
on Jan 21, 2009 at 12:56:15 am

I know, I know... why would anyone want to do that.

But I need to know if InDesign will import floating images in a Word document.

I'm working on a catalog that starts life as a huge, ugly Word mail merge that is imported into InDesign CS2.

A small icon that floats to the right of the text either doesn't show up or displays the file path. I would like to link (not embed) the images in the Word file, then bring the whole mess into InDesign.

So far my only solution is to place them inline with the text then modify each one (groan) to align it to the right. Anyone have a better idea?

Return to posts index

Kathe Todd
Re: Import Word with Images
on Mar 17, 2009 at 9:03:21 pm

You don't say whether these icons need to appear more often than once per page. You could set up a master page with the right-positioned graphic on it and apply the master to your ID pages, which would get it there next to the text at least.

Return to posts index

Rex Brown
Re: Import Word with Images
on Mar 18, 2009 at 12:26:42 pm

The images appear several times per page- one beside each listing.

What I ended up doing was purchasing a utility that allows Word to merge in images. Unfortunately it only allowed embedding the icon images, but it worked okay since it was simple graphic.

I still had to manually align each one to the right (got pretty good with the In Design hotkeys). But at least the merge allowed me to have the correct icon beside each listing. Otherwise I really wouldn't have any hair.

"The emptiest boxcar always makes the most noise."

Maduko World Headquarters

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]