FORUMS: list search recent posts

Redefine InDesign default fill and stroke

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Drake
Redefine InDesign default fill and stroke
on Dec 22, 2008 at 7:06:43 pm

I am trying to override the InDesign default fill and stroke. We do endless catalogs, and the most common object we create is a gray box with a black fill. It would be awfully convenient if, when I hit 'd', I get a 20% black fill and a 100% black, .5 pt stroke.

I know already that I can set defaults by just deselecting and choosing new colors, and then new items will have those settings until I change them. But I will be editing thousands of different documents in a year, and a global default would save me lots of time and effort.

So is there any way to modify the default InDesign no fill/black stroke default?

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Redefine InDesign default fill and stroke
on Dec 23, 2008 at 7:43:34 am

With no documents open double click on your file change that to 20%k, and then change your stroke to .5 k. This will set your default for new docuements. But you want to do this on documents that are already created. For that you need to do 3 things.

1) Create an object style of your 20% gray rectangle
2) Add a shortcut.
(To add a keyboard shortcut, position the insertion point in the Shortcut box, and make sure Num Lock is turned on. Then hold down any combination of Shift, Alt, and Ctrl (Windows) or Shift, Option, and Command (Mac OS), and press a number on the numeric keypad. You cannot use letters or non-keypad numbers for defining style shortcuts.)
3) Create a library a rectangle with that object style applied

Now if you open a document, just drag the item in your library to the page and delete it. this will add that object style to your document. You can then use an assigned shortcut

Return to posts index

Matt Drake
Re: Redefine InDesign default fill and stroke
on Dec 23, 2008 at 2:07:52 pm

Genius. I already had the library item, but hadn't even considered a shortcutted object style. That's the ticket!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]