FORUMS: list search recent posts

extra spacing in text frame I can't get rid of

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
extra spacing in text frame I can't get rid of
on Nov 6, 2008 at 8:08:49 pm

Hi. I'm working in CS3 on a newsletter and have a large text frame full of text. For some reason I can't figure out, there is a place in the text where it's being forced to go to the next line, leaving/maintaining a blank spot. I can't see any reason for it, and the blank space in that spot--about two or three lines worth--is maintained no matter what I do in the text. The cursor just hops down to the next line of text and maintains the space. Below is a screen grab of what it looks like. The red arrow is point to the space.

It doesn't matter if I make the frame 0, 1, 2 or 3 columns, nor when I place pictures (or not)--the blank space that I can't delete or even navigate in remains. Anyone know why this is or how to correct it?

Any help deeply appreciated.
thanks!

Return to posts index

Erica Gamet
Re: extra spacing in text frame I can't get rid of
on Nov 16, 2008 at 5:48:14 pm

It sounds like there is a Space Before or Space After command applied to the paragraph. Put your cursor in one of the paragraphs and go to the Paragraph panel. There is an icon that looks like three lines of text with a grey rectangle at the bottom (hover over the icon to see if the tooltip says space after)...there will be a value typed into the text field with a small amount of space (maybe .125" if you're using inches, that is)...if you make that zero, the space will go away.

The reason you would want to use this is because you often want extra spacing in between paragraphs and hitting multiple returns is a bad idea. The program realizes that if you have this auto programmed extra space and that space would appear at the top of a page or column, it knows to ignore the space...but as soon as there is text just above and below the space, it adds it back it. It's a discretionary space.

Hope that helps! (I didn't see any screenshot, so I was just guessing)...

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]