FORUMS: list search recent posts

tag items on masterpage

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Suzan den Brok
tag items on masterpage
on Sep 29, 2008 at 11:15:10 am

I am using Filemaker in combination with InDesign. Filemaker produces an xml with a ROW element for every record. In each ROW, there are different fields, like NAME and CITY, each containing one or more DATA elements.

I would like to set up a masterpage with tagged frames, so that each page can contain one ROW. A frame is tagged NAME (for example) and the text in it is tagged DATA.

The problem: when I add multiple pages to the document based on the tagged masterpage, the order of the tags is messed up.

In stead of:
ROW
NAME
..DATA
CITY
..DATA
ROW
NAME
..DATA
CITY
..DATA

It becomes:
ROW
NAME
..DATA
..DATA
CITY
..DATA
..DATA
ROW

Which makes it impossible to import the xml-file.

Does anybody know how to solve this problem?

P.S.The curious thing is, that when I create the tagged layout on a non-master page, copy everything and 'paste in place' on the following pages, the tags/elements keep their correct order.

Return to posts index

Suzan den Brok
Re: tag items on masterpage
on Sep 30, 2008 at 8:28:50 am

Sorry, what I wrote wasn't completely correct. This what I should have written:

In stead of (what I want):
ROW
NAME
..DATA
CITY
..DATA
ROW
NAME
..DATA
CITY
..DATA

It becomes:
ROW
NAME
..DATA
CITY
..DATA
NAME
..DATA
CITY
..DATA
ROW

If I add a new page (a new row/record), the elements should be added at the bottom of elements in the structure pane. But instead, the new elements are mixed with the existing ones.

I would really aprreciate any tips!

Return to posts index

Suzan den Brok
Re: tag items on masterpage
on Oct 3, 2008 at 10:43:08 pm

I just solved the problem myself! :-D
To tag items on a masterpage, and have them appear in the same order in the structure pane when new pages are added:
Use anchored frames. Make a frame for the ROW element (the root element). Inside that frame, paste the frames for NAME and CITY. (By cutting a frame, and pasting it inline within another frame, the pasted frame will become an anchored object). The settings for the anchored objects should be custom (in stead of 'inline' or 'above line'). This way the anchored frames can be moved around on the page freely, independent of the main text frame (in this case the ROW frame).
Tag all frames.
Insert new pages based on this masterpage. The elements will be in exactly the same order as on the master page.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]