FORUMS: list search recent posts

newbie question around text and frames

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruby Gold
newbie question around text and frames
on Sep 10, 2008 at 9:30:12 pm

Hi there. I'm brand new to InDesign CS3 and am trying to lay out a company newsletter. If I set a frame using the frame tool, how do I paste text into it? I've tried using the text tool to 'draw' a frame by clicking and dragging (like in PS), but it won't do it (something in my preferences maybe?).

Also, through many ridiculous machinations, if I'm able to get text laid out, and a picture inset with text wrapping around it, when I try and create another text frame as a picture caption, I can't seem to put it in the appropriate area. I'm under deadline with only minimal instruction. Any helpful hints, preference settings that might contribute to these problems, or tutorials in this area greatly appreciated!

thanks!
Ruby

Return to posts index

Erica Gamet
Re: newbie question around text and frames
on Sep 11, 2008 at 5:26:21 pm

To create a text frame, yes...just choose the type tool and click and drag out a text frame. Then you can copy/paste text or type directly in the text frame. If you've already created a frame using the shape tools (rectangle or whatever), you can change it to a text frame by going to the Object Menu and choosing Content-->Text.

When you set text wrap on a picture, it will force text in ANY frame that gets near it to wrap...and it doesn't matter what the stacking order is for the objects. To get the frame with the caption to NOT wrap text around the object in question: select the text frame with containing the caption with the Selection Tool (solid arrow), go to the Object menu and choose Text Frame Options. Near the bottom there is a check box that says Ignore Text Wrap...check that box. Now, that frame will ignore ANY text wrap settings on any object it comes in contact with.

Hope that helps!

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

Ruby Gold
Re: newbie question around text and frames
on Sep 11, 2008 at 5:36:26 pm

Thanks Erica!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>