FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just one pasteboard

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
denny plowman
Just one pasteboard
on Aug 29, 2008 at 1:55:49 pm

I have just moved up from PageMaker to InDesign. In PM there is just one big pasteboard and you can click through your document pages within it. However, in ID each page or spread has its own pasteboard.

Is there any way of having just one pasteboard in ID? I like to park images etc on the pasteboard and have them to hand regardless of which page or spread I am working on. At present I have to go back to the page where I parked an image to retrieve it from the pasteboard which is a pain, especially with a many page document.

Return to posts index

Erica Gamet
Re: Just one pasteboard
on Sep 10, 2008 at 11:07:36 pm

Hi there...glad you're using InDesign. As a PageMaker user, you'll want to make sure you have your "PageMake toolbar" turned on to help you transition...I think they added that in CS3, but might have been CS2...can't remember. Anyway, yes, there is a pasteboard for each page, essentially. But for using items you need quick, and possibly multiple, access to, I'd suggest using a library. When you create a library (File-->New-->Library), it's document independent and floats in its own palette/panel. If there's an item you want to use from your page, simply drag it into the Library. Next time you want to place that on a page, grab it from the library and drop it onto the page. You can put all items on a page as a group in a library, or each item individually. You can even put things like sets of guides in a library...but you can't drag and drop, you'll need to use the Libary Panel menu (It will give you a warning and instructions if you try to drag and drop guides). You can even assign keywords and do a search feature to library items. Check out libraries...much better than having a bunch of junk lying all around your page!

Erica Gamet
Digital Dimensions
http://www.digi-wizard.com/learn
"...for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."

Return to posts index

denny plowman
Re: Just one pasteboard
on Sep 11, 2008 at 8:20:33 am

Excellent, just what I needed, thank you

Denny Plowman

Return to posts index

Erica Gamet