We recently switched from Quark to ID. Migrated our collection of little space ads that we use all the time in catalogs to an ID document, and then dragged them into a library. The text was black in the document, and items dragged to a new layout also had black text. But when I dragged the same item to a layout using a different template, the text that was black came out red! The link to the paragraph style had been broken before the library item was created. The only way I could get the library item to come out with its correct colors in any document from this template was to hand-change all the text back to black and then update each library item. WTF?
Are you using spot colors? If for example you created a spot color called Headline and it was black, placed that in your library, adn then in a new document you have a color with the exact same name of headline but it is red, then your libarary item will change to red type wehn placed.
Otherwise try to load your paragraph styles using the paragraph palette flyout menu >> load paragraph styles>> choose and Indesign docuemtn that contains the paragraph style you want to import.
I found that I was able to get around the problem by giving every element in the library item a "named color" (i.e. "burst text", "burst background" etc.). The library items could then come into a new document and if these colors and their definitions didn't exist in that document they would be correctly translated. What puzzled me was that the text in question was set to BLACK. Plain old, comes with the basic package, nothing fancy about it black. And then the bursts with the black text were taken from the library to a new document (containing the black color of course, as do all documents) the text changed to the color called "red." This is a process color 0-100-100-0 that I used in all my document templates.