FORUMS: list search recent posts

NEWBIE QUESTION: Changing background color

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
dylan Tucker
NEWBIE QUESTION: Changing background color
on Feb 6, 2008 at 7:47:25 pm

Hello all. I am just finding my feet with indesign and trying to my first project. I'm sorry if this sounds really really dumb, but how do I change the background color of a document?

Return to posts index

Lakia Ross
Re: NEWBIE QUESTION: Changing background color
on Feb 6, 2008 at 8:01:33 pm

Although there are scripts out there that allow you to actually change the background color, a general way is as follows:

- Make a new layer (Windows>Layer to show layer palette)

- Drag out a Rectangle or Frame Rectangle (Rectangle tool of Rectangle Frame tool) to fit the size of your document.

- Make that rectangle's fill color the color you want your background (select it & use the swatches palette).

That's it. You can now lock that layer if you like.
If you were doing a multi-page document, you'd want to do the above on a Master page.

Return to posts index

dylan Tucker
on Feb 6, 2008 at 8:29:41 pm

Wow, thanks for the fast reply, Lakia! I thought maybe you'd have to manually do that, but not sure. Great website by the way :)

Return to posts index

dylan Tucker
on Feb 6, 2008 at 8:38:08 pm

To further bug you Lakia (sorry!) As you can tell I am quite new to print (previously have been doing web and video design but beginning to get the odd request for print) and have just moved over here from overseas, so I am a bit unsure what to charge on things. I am meant to be producing 6 pages (2 of them just text) for an A5 business publication. Can I be cheeky and ask (even it is VERY rough) as to what kind of figure you or the general majority would normally charge? Or, do you charge an hourly rate and if so, how long would such a job normally take? I have done quotes online and I get back anything between 100 and 900 quid. :S

Return to posts index

Lakia Ross
on Feb 6, 2008 at 9:40:12 pm

Hi Dylan

I do charge an hourly rate. My rate is based on my experience and how quickly I can turn projects around (I really have no overhead.)

Turnaround time is limited to how quickly you can move in InDesign. I could tell you how long it would take me, but, understandably it may take you longer.

I have a blog post that touches this subject lightly http://lakiarosscreative.blogspot.com/2007/04/little-help-for-potential-cli...
or you may email me at lakiarosscreative [at] gmail [dot] com.

Return to posts index

Lakia Ross
on Feb 6, 2008 at 9:58:35 pm

Almost forgot;
Brenner Books (.com) has a whole series of pricing guides. I find their statistics to be fairly accurate.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]