FORUMS: list search recent posts

files compatible with InDesign

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sally Skinner
files compatible with InDesign
on Feb 5, 2008 at 1:16:17 am

I am creating a document in Adobe InDesign. I have CS3, and I'm learning InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop via the "Classroom in a Book" series. My document will have spaces for advertisements. I need to find out what types of files advertisers can send to me that will allow me to put their ads into my InDesign document. I know that jpeg files are compatible with InDesign/Illustrator/Photoshop, but I need to find out what other types of files an advertiser can send to me that will allow me to place their ads into my InDesign document.

Return to posts index

cowcowcowcowcow
Lakia Ross
Re: files compatible with InDesign
on Feb 6, 2008 at 12:47:43 am

You can import .tif, .pdf and .eps files into InDesign, also.
If this is going to be sent out to a printer, remember that all files should be 300dpi and CMYK.
Designers typically use TIFF and EPS images in InDesign, as those are the formats most printers prefer. (Although, I have dropped in my share of pdf ad into spreads.)

Return to posts index

Sally Skinner
on Feb 6, 2008 at 1:00:22 am

Perfect! Thank you!

Return to posts index

Jason Milligan
on Feb 6, 2008 at 11:41:34 pm

PSDs are also and option, the latest versions of InDesign have some new features to make using PSDs even more versatile.

The following info regards working in print (if your work is for web, this may not apply):
In regards to JPEGs and other lossy formats, I recommend avoiding them when possible. At the very least, if you are working with a JPEG or GIF, convert them into a new format such as TIFF or PSD. The reason I say this is because JPEGS are compressed in a way that kills data. Each time you save to JPEG you are further compressing that file and losing more data meaning you lose quality, something that becomes very apparent when printed.

Return to posts index

Sally Skinner
on Feb 11, 2008 at 4:32:09 pm

Wow. This is significantly important information for my project. Thank you, Jason!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]