FORUMS: list search recent posts

Linking Information in Indesign

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ThatFoxEleanor
Linking Information in Indesign
on Nov 13, 2007 at 3:33:06 pm

I have created a map in InDesign but the order of information in the legend often changes. Is there a way to link the numbers on the map (currently in individual textboxes) to the number beside the name of the places in the legend. (currently in a list in one text box).

So that, when I change the number in the legend, the number on the icon on the map changes to match it. The icon does not move, and the name corresponds with it.

Perhaps there is some scripting that can be done or linking.

Thank you for any advice. (even to say it's impossible)

Any alternatives would be appreciated. The basic map is usually an eps or pdf file, but all the changing information is layered on top in InDesign.

Cheers,

Eleanor

http://www.eleanor-rosenberg.com

Return to posts index

Thumbslinger
Re: Linking Information in Indesign
on Nov 22, 2007 at 9:46:32 pm

Hello Eleanor-
Hmm... in InDesign, InDesign CS... I don't think so. Auto page numbering is based on new pages so there's no way to use that functionality to fake inDesign.... in CS3, I'm not sure but I would guess not unless there is an external script that alter content within a file.

Usually, scripts within InDesign are akin to Actions in Photoshop or Illustrator; they remember what to do and do it much faster that a normal human but they do things that are in the menus.

However, it's always surprising to find out what's available via a 3rd party or even the OS so maybe someone else knows.

Return to posts index

Jacki in Atlanta
Re: Linking Information in Indesign
on Dec 21, 2007 at 12:26:20 am

You mean internal linking to another part of the doc?

I know you can do external links in InDesign, probably can do internal too, but I have had much better luck with internal links on the editable pdf's after exporting from InDesign.

The only problem I sometimes have in Acrobat with internal or external linking is for some reason, I would create the link, would not work...I'd delete that link completely and create another and the second time it would work like a charm. This is not as time consuming as it sounds and was much easier for me than creating links with InDesign.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]