FORUMS: list search recent posts

Italics in textbox

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
JustineNatureBureau
Italics in textbox
on Oct 2, 2007 at 8:07:44 am

Hi
Im having a problem with using italics for latin names within a text box that has a style sheet. Using pagemaker I would import the text and it would stay italic but on InDesign it turns them all the to the style sheet settings, my problem is I cannot set ITC Garamond to Italic and Bold on Indesign like on pagemaker as it isnt a font,
does this make sense?! hope so!
Regards
Justine

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Italics in textbox
on Oct 3, 2007 at 1:58:31 pm

ITC Garamond Bold Italic is available from Adobe
http://www.adobe.com/type/browser/P/P_1059.html

Are you wanting to stylize your ITC Garamond to italic and bold? If so that is something Adobe intentionally does not allow in InDesign, and I for one am very thankful for this; as stylizing fonts is not good typography.

If you are working on a project that does not need professional looking type, you can add a very thin stroke (about .2pt)to your and skew your type about 12 degrees to simulate a faux bold and italic.

Return to posts index

JustineNatureBureau
on Oct 24, 2007 at 2:01:29 pm

Basically I'm doing work placement and to get the job ive got to impress.

The creative director has spent his life working on pagemaker making large nature books, full of boring text and latin names. the client emails over the text and he shoves it into pagemaker, changes the font, all the italics stay the same and all the bolds stay

This time the font is ITC Garamond Bold and he wants to keep the bold and add italic, possible in pagemaker but not in InDesign. I've spoken to adobe and they said the same as you, intentionally not possible. But he's having a hissy fit and I'm sure there must be a way to do 'not very graphic' books in InDesign.

I tried suggesting find+replacing latin names and changing to red as the colour is retained in the changing of the font, then find+replace again back to black and italic. but that got shuned for taking too long.

Problem with adding skews and things is that it means finding about 50 latin names per page.

Hope all this makes sense!

Return to posts index

JustineNatureBureau
on Oct 24, 2007 at 4:15:04 pm

Under ITC garamond I have light condensed, light condensed italic, book condensed, book condensed italic, bold condensed, bold condensed italic, ultra condensed, ultra condensed light, light, light italic, book, book italic, bold italic, ultra, ultra italic.

When I paste text from word using TT garamond with italics such as: the striking metallic blue Rosalia alpina and the nocturnal Morimus funereus . it pastes as ITC Garamond Light and Garamond Italic, I need ITC Garamond Book and ITC Garamond Book Italic.

Why does it automatically choose two different fonts? Can I split ITC Garamond into smaller families? Am I making sense? probably not!

This isnt a problem with smaller fonts such as Berthold Baskerville as it has regular, italic, medium and medium italic.

I am sorry to be a complete pain but you should hear him moan!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]