FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mail Merge Software

COW Forums : Adobe InDesign

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jez777
Mail Merge Software
on Aug 30, 2007 at 12:27:44 pm

Hi,

My office just picked up some printers and we are now printing in-house what we used to out source. We need to print a mail merge of some direct pieces to 40,000 people. I've found that the built in "Data Merge" module for inDesign chokes on this mass quantity. I phoned adobe and the sales rep agreed with me.

So, I'm looking for some better software to pull this off. A plugin would be nice. designmerge.com looks pretty nice, but it's pricey. And there is a stand alone app called Print Shop Mail.

Right now we are using word to imprint the names but it would be cheaper/nicer if we could just print everything in one pass.

What we usually print are graphic heavy letters and direct mail ads. The printers we purchased are Panasonic DP-C264 (Postscript 3).

I was just wondering if I could get some outside advice before investing in these products. Thanks for any input.

Return to posts index

Mike Gondek
Re: Mail Merge Software
on Sep 20, 2007 at 6:43:27 pm

I never did 40,000, but can you try to divide and conquer and maybe do this in 4 documents of 10,000 each.

You could stitch the 4 documents together in a book if you wanted to print them all at once.

Sorry I am not familiar with the other apps, direct mail is the one thing I do not do.

Return to posts index

jez777
Re: Mail Merge Software
on Sep 20, 2007 at 7:15:42 pm

ya but then sending a 40,000 page document to print... that would probably take a week.

Apps like Print Shop Mail or what ever will do the merge without creating a new page for every record. That way the graphics will get cached in the printer's memory and the merged data will go on it's own.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]